right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Would you leave another tip?

conmamaconmama 4966 replies350 threads Senior Member
I had my FR carpet cleaned less than 2 weeks ago. Actually half of my FR since I left all my furniture and Christmas tree in place. They did 2 runners also. The minimum to come out is $99 and that includes 3 rooms. It’s owners operated and I gave a 20% tip, which I think was generous considering there wasn’t much to do.

So after this holiday I have 3 stains I can’t get out that are about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter. I called and asked if they could remove them and I just had them out. He said the minimum is $99, but since he was just out he would charge me $50.

I don’t feel like leaving a tip, would you?
17 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Would you leave another tip?

• jmnva06jmnva06 866 replies9 threads Member
    I would but I am a softie
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35380 replies399 threads Senior Member
    No. But next time, ask for some of the spot cleaning fluid thy use.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4966 replies350 threads Senior Member
    Thanks! The credit card machine they use has a tip choice on it. I won’t leave one tomorrow,
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16651 replies66 threads Senior Member
    Interesting as I have never tipped carpet cleaners.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18978 replies336 threads Senior Member
    Never tipped that type of service provider. Gutter cleaners? Nope. Window washers? Nope. Drapery cleaners? Nope.
    · Reply · Share
  • dentmom4dentmom4 1524 replies4 threads Senior Member
    No tipping here for these services, never heard of it. Plus, I thought in general you never tip the business owner.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36017 replies396 threads Senior Member
    Nope—I wouldn’t leave a tip—you were generous to give the 1st tip.
    · Reply · Share
  • sherpasherpa 4910 replies98 threads Senior Member
    People I tip :

service people in restaurants
    massage therapists
    cab drivers
    motel and hotel cleaning people
    people who park my car.

People I don’t tip:

auto repair people
    doctors
    grocery clerks
    lawyers
    the UPS driver
    my accountant
    window washers
    TSA employees
    carpet cleaners
    and many more
    · Reply · Share
  • Hello44Hello44 31 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I don't tip carpet cleaners, but I tip delivery men who bring who bring heavy stuff like appliances or furniture to the house. Is that common?
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 10802 replies587 threads Super Moderator
    I think tipping is out of control and it’s getting to the point where everyone expects a tip. I’m also fed up with tips increasing astronomically. Don’t get me wrong, I agree that some professionals need to be tipped, especially servers, who make low wages. There is almost never a reason not to give a server a tip, and most of th time I tip 20%.

I agree with @sherpa , and would add hairdressers to the list. These are all professions where tips have traditionally been expected. I never tip people who work at my house, such as a contractor, lawn service, etc... That’s why you get estimates or pay monthly fees. They should be quoting you a price that ensures they are paid reasonably for their services. However, on occasion, I tip people who have done an exceptional job on contracted jobs or who put in an inordinate amount of work.
    · Reply · Share
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl 2845 replies106 threads Senior Member
    ^It is especially important to tip anyone who gets a "special" wage of much less than minimum. Waitstaff, bartenders, bus boys, etc. in MA are paid $3.75/hour and the tips are their real income. They also must claim 10% (might be more now) of their total sales at the end of the night so the tips are not tax-free by any means. There are some businesses, generally locally-owned, that will pay their servers more per hour to keep good help in the off-season. I also believe the law dictates that a business must make up the difference between the tip income reported and minimum wage if the server doesn't make it.

· Reply · Share
  • anomanderanomander 1877 replies4 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    I did tip the guy who last cleaned our carpets, but he was an employee and not the owner. The rule of thumb is you don’t tip the owner of a business - their wages are what they’re already charging with profits built-in. If it’s not enough for them to live on without tips, they should charge more.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • SnLMomSnLMom 718 replies20 threads Member
    I never would have considered tipping a carpet cleaner before reading this thread. I would put them in the same category as lawn care, tree trimmer, appliance repairman, ... all of whom I do not tip.

Does anyone tip their pet groomer? Does it make a difference if they work at a small, privately owned business vs. the grooming department of a chain pet store?
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3432 replies78 threads Senior Member
    I have never tipped carpet cleaners.

I will tip restaurant staff, hairdressers, and pizza delivery, but that's about it. I haven't used cabs or valets in a while, but if I did, I would tip them.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaterSMaterS 1846 replies51 threads Senior Member
    I wouldn't tip a carpet cleaner.

I live in a village where there are beautifully wrapped gifts on top of the garbage cans before Christmas. One on the trash can and another on the recycling bin.

I stopped tipping hotel cleaning people. If the hotel is in a area with numerous 5-star high end hotels I think it is up to management to reward their top employees to maintain that level of service.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18978 replies336 threads Senior Member
    I do tip dog groomers. And other people who "touch" you (or your dog) like manicurists, waxers, hair stylists and colorists, masseurs, etc.

But not doctors and nurses. :))
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity