Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Brown you broke my heart (Don't write about Rape)

Replies to: Brown you broke my heart (Don't write about Rape)

• LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,734 Senior Member
    Quite a bit more prestigious than Brown? That’s a bit like an oxymoron.

I’m sorry that happened to you. You will never know why you didn’t get in EA. But for other readers, I will caution that it isn’t just elite schools that want to avoid “flight risks.” Most colleges want to avoid admitting students who might struggle. It is best, IMO, to let the guidance counselor address issues that might have caused problems in a student’s high school record.

One potential problem with telling the school about your trauma is that it runs the risk of seeming like an attempt to elicit sympathy. It’s possible that your “extremely heartfelt” statement about being raped came out the wrong way. Maybe it wasn’t that you told them you were raped, but rather that something in what you said caused them concern about your mental health.

It’s not wrong for students to want AO’s to know something about them that they feel is very important. Students must understand though that they are always taking a risk when they share extremely personal information about themselves. As @intparent said, giving the AO information about a family trauma, mental health issue, anxiety, or why you got poor grades doesn’t necessarily put a tick box in the “we want this kid on campus” column.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,638 Forum Champion
    A few comments in no particular order:

-- First I am sorry about what happened to you.

-- I don't think writing about your rape is the reason you were not accepted at Brown. As with most top schools there is simply not enough space for many of the well qualified applicants. It comes down to finding a match between what a college is looking for and what you can offer. It is more of an art than a science and the difference between acceptance and rejection/deferral likely can rarely be dissected and distilled down to just one thing.

--Hopefully the top 10 school you got into EA was not SCEA and you did not violate the admission agreement for that college by applying to Brown ED..

--With a top 10 acceptance in your hands it is time to look forward with your life and stop thinking about Brown. You can only attend one college so if you already have one great, affordable acceptance then you are in fantastic shape.
  • alexandra00alexandra00 Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    @happy1 @TheBigChef it was that school, I don't want to reveal myself though
    @scholardad that post is pretty old. I ended up sending a 36 superscore, 34 composite ACT. I didn't have a downward trend. I have B's the exam's and then only A's for Senior and Junior year. I took a semester not year off from school.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,141 Senior Member
    Maybe UChicago.
    @intparent I was crying and really upset when I wrote the post. It was MIT or Uchicago. I understand now that those schools are very different from bronw
    Ok. So you have at least one great acceptance. :) Anything else is gravy at this point, assuming that the FA is workable at your EA school. You are going to college next fall!
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,638 Forum Champion
    edited January 2
    MIT and Brown are not looking for the exact same student profile. It is entirely conceivable that you were simply a more attractive candidate to MIT (especially given your work with girls who code) and that the decision to defer you at Brown was not materially impacted by what you wrote in the additional comment section that application. Most importantly congratulations on your accomplishments and your acceptance -- all best wishes as you move forward.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,591 Senior Member
    edited January 2
    What makes you so sure that it was the rape issue that kept you from being accepted? Brown accepts under 10% of its applicants, the vast majority of whom are all incredibly qualified.
  • melvin123melvin123 Registered User Posts: 1,394 Senior Member
    OP I’m so sorry you were the victim of a violent crime. And happy for you that you’re moving forward with your life and will be going to a great school next year (MIT or U Chicago etc). Be sure to continue with whatever support you need to continue to heal. Onward and upward!
    @Eeyore123 I am close with my GC but this is a different school. I did not want to tell her about it, as I didn't want her to think of me differently. I know that what I did could have been construed as lacking critical thinking, but I think it was honesty. I know that it was probably not a good idea. I just thought that including it in the information section would add more context to my transcript. I was disappointed. I should have been more cognizant of the context of my application. I don't deserve to go to Brown. I should be more thankful for not being rejected and apologize for wasting everyone's time.
    edited January 2
    So you didn’t want your GC thinking about you differently, but you put it out there for the admissions committees? What’s done is done, but you might go see your GC about this. Colleges often call GCs to discuss applicants. For your GC to say, “Huh? What are you talking about?” probably wouldn’t be too helpful in your application process. They may or may not call, but it does happen.

Again — this may have little or nothing to do with your Brown results. But go see your GC — it could make a difference with your other schools.