Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Word limit is making me cut into important details.

2»

Replies to: Word limit is making me cut into important details.

• RayMantaRayManta Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Often, changing word order can reduce word count.
    As others have recommended, focus on unnecessary words. They may be words you don't often consider unnecessary; at times, for instance, the words "the" and "that" are superfluous.
    My favorite writing coach is Roy Peter Clark, formerly of the Poynter Institute. He has authored a number of fantastic guides, one of which is titled "How to Write Short." It's not terribly long, and is split into short "lessons." I highly recommend it, and will predict that one read-through will give you the tools to get your word count below the required threshold. Good luck!
  • readthetealeavesreadthetealeaves Registered User Posts: 556 Member
    Chop, chop, chop. Make every single word count. If you do you will further explain your topic without filler words. You must stay within the word requirements as sometimes they truncate it , sometimes you get away with it and sometimes they out and out reject the essay. You will not know, so if the school is important stay within the limitations. Get someone to edit it with the intent to cut. It will sound even better the more you do it
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 56,564 Senior Member
    If your “editing service” isn’t very familiar with college essays, drop them like a hot potato. They are doing you a disservice.
2»