right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

To those who feel lonely/homesick/friendless/think they chose the wrong school, etc...

13»

Replies to: To those who feel lonely/homesick/friendless/think they chose the wrong school, etc...

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 6735 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Lindagaf, just saw the NYTimes update you posted- that is super! thanks for sharing.
    · Reply · Share
  • paoluchsingerpaoluchsinger 72 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'm still very much friendless and lonely at Bard College after three years which was partially fueled by a horrendous roommate experience my freshman year, but in 17 days I'm going abroad for a semester to Madrid, Spain. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm the only person from my school who's going to Spain so that's gonna be fun. Hopefully people there will be much more open minded.
    · Reply · Share
  • paoluchsingerpaoluchsinger 72 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    It feels like finding like-minded people who I click with and who like me back is almost harder than getting a boyfriend lol.
    · Reply · Share
  • ElsaElsa 2 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    In my case it took me two whole years to finally feel at ease and not homesick. But by Senior year I was so happy and terribly sad to leave! It just takes time! And not giving up unless one really feels such a great need to be near home and emotions are so bad that mental or physical health is impaired. In those cases of course it is important to go where one has support. Best wishes to all.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9253 replies497 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Nice post @Elsa . I’ve seen a new crop of posts on this forum from kids who are still having a tough time. It might take longer than expected before you feel good about your college. I recently spoke to a friend who hated his entire first year of college. He went back for sophomore year because of finances and still hated it, until spring semester. He now realizes that he had some growing up to do and that the problem was him, not the college and not the other students. He decided it was time to make the best of things and enjoyed the rest of his time in college. He still has lifelong friends from those days, because he realized there is never a time limit on making friends.

There seem to be a lot of kids panicking right now about being homesick. Remember, your home and your family are always going to be there for you, even when you aren’t physically with them. One sign of growing up is that you understand you can love and miss your family without needing to be with them all the time. Give yourself time.
    · Reply · Share
  • basitq14basitq14 21 replies13 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Its my second semester of college now first one was a battle in of itself! One of the things that helped me get thorugh was creating this account and listening to music watching funny vids etc. took me at least middle of October end of October to finally know what I was doing wrong and how to fix my study routine so I can get better grades. As time went on I was able to slowly turn things around and pass first semester but ended up failing math. so glad most of my professors were understanding and caring. growing up is really tough when its your first time but itll slowly improve and fall into place just give it some time I call my parents everyday to tell them how Im doing. Im hoping to start this semester with a good start
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 8183 replies83 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited January 26
    @bastiq14: The key to your second semester success, in my opinion, is that you have established a routine.

A healthy routine should help to prioritize your needs & commitments, thereby focusing much less on what you think should be one's college experience.
    edited January 26
    · Reply · Share
  • vrwcajvrwcaj 5 replies3 threadsRegistered User New Member
    if only it was this easy
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6735 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    growing up is really tough when its your first time

This is the best thing that I have read on CC, possibly *ever*. Yes @basitq14, it is. Those of us who have had to grow up more than once know the truth of it: it's never easy, but it is hardest the first time. You go, kid!
    · Reply · Share
  • AndrewMMAndrewMM 5 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Like to curl up and watch some movies when feeling homesick
    · Reply · Share
  • johnmiller25johnmiller25 6 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Great information. Really helpful.
    · Reply · Share
    Already new posts are coming from students who are worried about going to college. I posted on this person’s thread: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-life/2152256-i-don-t-feel-ready-at-all.html#latest
    Post #1 may be useful to some of you who don’t feel ready. The expression “you have nothing to fear but fear itself” is very appropriate right now.
    · Reply · Share
  • GvanderVGvanderV 1 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thank you tremendously for this.
    · Reply · Share
    Just saw this today.
    What college students wish they had known as freshmen: https://nyti.ms/2MuqqZ6
    · Reply · Share
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 3993 replies26 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited October 19
    ^ Loved this! My favorite was the one that advised students to go somewhere by themselves and just act like you belong. I can’t tell you how important, even for extroverts, I think that is - for students and later adults to feel free to march to the beat of their own drum without needing someone’s approval or someone to accompany them to everything. You miss out on so much that way, including potentially wonderful friendships.
    edited October 19
    · Reply · Share