right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Harvard Regular Decision Interview

paquitoTaquitopaquitoTaquito 1 replies2 threads New Member
Hey guys. This is probably a dumb questions, but here it goes. I'm apply to Harvard for regular decision and wanted to know what the interview process was like for RD applicants. I assume there are alumni interviews for US applicants applying RD (or is that only for EA?). Beyond that, I wanted to know when I would have to submit my CommonApp in order to schedule it in time. Could I submit it on January 1 or do I need to get it out earlier? I couldn't find any of this stuff on the website - maybe I'm just blind. Anyways, thanks in advance!
39 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Harvard Regular Decision Interview

• gibbygibby 10528 replies246 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    RD interviews do NOT begin until the SCEA round has been completed -- around mid December. That said, most RD interviews are not scheduled until mid-January and last until mid-March.
    edited November 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • paquitoTaquitopaquitoTaquito 1 replies2 threads New Member
    Is this typically the same for other competitive schools? (Thank you btw that's super useful)
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 2017
    ^^ Yes, it's the same for other competitive schools: YPSM et al.
    edited November 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • EastGradEastGrad 964 replies8 threads Member
    That's not really accurate, @Gibby. Local interview coordinators can assign regular interviews at any time. Having a complete RD application in November or December does allow those local folks more time to assign interviews, if they wish to do so.
    · Reply · Share
  • carlson2carlson2 373 replies2 threads Member
    Confirming what EastGrad said. My D SCEA'd to another school, but turned in her H application fairly early in November, and heard back from her alumni interviewer for an interview at the beginning of December.
    · Reply · Share
  • noanswersnoanswers 198 replies0 threads Junior Member
    One of the Ivy I interviewed for had list of applicants which included both ED and RD and recommended that priority be given to choosing the ED before the RD. Therefore, RD interviews can happen at anytime.
    · Reply · Share
  • apdns19apdns19 230 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I applied regular decision and already had my interview. Interviewer said she had to have it in by February.
    · Reply · Share
  • thunder7719thunder7719 11 replies0 threads New Member
    ^^Just confirming what everyone else said, but I also already had my Harvard RD interview. My interviewer said that most interviewers will complete the SCEA interviews first and then move onto RDs.
    · Reply · Share
  • andsometimesYandsometimesY 18 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I wanted to know when I would have to submit my CommonApp in order to schedule it in time. Could I submit it on January 1 or do I need to get it out earlier?
    My son submitted his app 40 minutes before the Jan. 1st deadline and got an alumni interview and also an AO interview later on. I'm not recommending you follow his example (especially if you don't want to give your mom a heart attack), just sharing his experience.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10830 replies77 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    andsometimesY ditto in my house: I avoided stress by telling him he could always work for a year if he didn't get the application in :) H got an interview in a timely fashion. Making the deadline by minutes is fine as long as your computer doesn't crash!
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • StanfordOrBust19StanfordOrBust19 52 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Is there any advantage of submitting the Harvard RD application by Dec 15th? Or would Dec 31st work as well?
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2018
    @StanfordOrBust19: Dec 15th is a courtesy deadline, allowing Admissions Officers to get a jump on reading applications. Submitting by Dec 15th does NOT increase your chances or give an advantage. FWIW: Many students are admitted to the college who submitted applications at the last minute on December 31st, so submit when your application is ready!
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • xmas19xmas19 62 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I applied RD and had my Harvard Alumni interview yesterday!
    · Reply · Share
  • StanfordOrBust19StanfordOrBust19 52 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @gibby that’s solid advice. Thank you so much, I’ll definitely take my time to submit a strong application
    · Reply · Share
  • rjqz18rjqz18 9 replies0 threads New Member
    My S submitted RD application weeks ago. We still do not get any interview invitation. Is it abnormal? We asked AO. It was told that interview or not will not effect admission decision. Is it tire?
    · Reply · Share
  • jzducoljzducol 745 replies12 threads Member
    With both local alums and AOs on holiday break its perfectly normal you have not heard from them.
    Unlike job interviews where they are the most important element for deciding a candidate, the alum interviews at most Ivy schools admissions are more for alum engagement than for acting as the last arbiter in selecting a candidate. However, I have never heard of any Harvard admit without an interview; some interviews can take place after the candidates receive likely letters. In another word, you may not need one to get admitted but you must have one as an admitted student.
    RD decisions won't be finished till mid March. An applicant can get an interview request up till that time.
    · Reply · Share
  • familymomfamilymom 11 replies0 threads New Member
    Question to @gibby and @jzducol. If the alum interviewer said, "you'll hear about the next step from the admissions team." after the interview, is this a good sign or neutral remark meaning that he would say this to a person who may get the rejection from the AO team as well?
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1440 replies8 threads Senior Member
    The alumni interviewer has no clue where you stand with the AO. There is no next step other than a decision, unless you are missing items from your application.
    · Reply · Share
  • familymomfamilymom 11 replies0 threads New Member
    edited January 28
    @BKSquared, He said he is also on the admissions team. Do you think he is influential in making decisions?
    edited January 28
    · Reply · Share
  • jzducoljzducol 745 replies12 threads Member
    According to the published Harvard admissions evaluation form:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/breakdown-of-the-harvard-admissions-process-1540287000
    and the filled out form I have seen, there could be up to three additional evaluations besides those of two AO readers, from the left to the right (probably in the order of importance): faculty eval, staff IV and alum IV. If the interviewer is an admission staff, his evaluation will be entered in Staff IV column. Since most applicants will have Alum IV, one with Staff IV would stand out. I imagine good Staff IV scores would have more weight than Alum IV.
    · Reply · Share