Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard Regular Decision Interview

13»

Replies to: Harvard Regular Decision Interview

• love2cheeseslove2cheeses Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    @gibby Harvard prioritize kids for interview? I thought only international students are screened for interview and US students get interview based on alumni availability. Did Harvard change the process? Thanks.
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,669 Senior Member
    edited February 4
    @love2cheeses: Every US applicant is supposed to get an interview, however interviewers are volunteers. And in some parts of the country, there are just not enough alumni stepping-forward to interview the ever increasing number of applicants applying to the college -- especially in the RD round. So, in those instances it's thought that Admissions prioritizes which students are interviewed first, second, third and so on.
    @gibby Thanks for your answer.

You said "it's thought that Admissions prioritizes which students are interviewed..."

Is that just your guess or you heard it from some reliable sources? The reason I question it is because from my very small sample size, in certain areas, either all kids got interview or none which is very strange.

And not only Harvard has much less interviews this year, so do other top schools.

I have a feeling there is some kind of policy changes. but don't know what they are.

Thanks.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,966 Super Moderator
    edited February 4
    not only Harvard has much less interviews this year, so do other top schools.
    Maybe. Maybe not. I do not believe you have access to data to make that statement.
    Is that just your guess or you heard it from some reliable sources?
    Documents from the lawsuit.
    @skieurope My sample size is small, but I heard this from people at different parts of the country applying various schools..

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,966 Super Moderator
    My sample size is small, but I heard this from people at different parts of the country applying various schools..
    As I often say, the plural of anecdote is not data.
    edited February 4
    @love2cheeses: See: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/1455894-high-priority.html
    QUESTION: My interviewer let it slip that I was marked a high priority candidate. What does this mean for my admissions chances?

ANSWER from @T26E4, who is no longer on CC but was an alumni interviewer for Yale: Harvard does initial read thrus immediatly. Thus, they can target Likely Letter recipients. THen with the rest of high likelihood admits, they can informally ask the area alumni groups to "Yeah we know we sent you a list of fifty, but can you really make sure you cover these five?"
    @gibby WOW, thanks, very helpful info.
    @love2cheeses and others: If you have the time, you might find the Harvard 2014-2015 Interview Handbook informative and helpful. It was released as part of the lawsuit: https://www.advancingjustice-la.org/sites/default/files/(419-55) SEALED HARV00001392-1438 Interviewer Handbook 2014-2015 (002).pdf
13»