right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
JOIN US for the "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. Registered members can ask their questions NOW!

Medical Adversity/Non-Citizen scholarships

Stylus89Stylus89 22 replies8 threads Junior Member

I am a high school senior in CA and attend a competitive high school in the Bay Area. I have applied to UCs and CSUs.

Cumulative HS GPA: ~3.85
UC GPA: 4.0
SAT: 1510 (improved by 120 points since May 2018)
Major: business

I have been battling a rare genetic, chronic, life-threatening liver condition throughout my life. I underwent significant medical adversity in my junior year due to complications of my liver condition. I was out of school for roughly 3 months. Nonetheless, I pulled through with sheer resilience and drive. Currently, I am on the path to receive all A's for senior year.

I am a non-Citizen and non-permanent resident. I know my scholarship opportunities are already limited due to this factor, but I would like to apply to as many as I can.

I would really appreciate any insight and suggestions to what scholarships I could apply to given my circumstances!

Thank you
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Medical Adversity/Non-Citizen scholarships

  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 84268 replies1045 threadsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Forum Champion
    edited February 2019
    I don’t know of any such scholarships for int’ls, certainly not at this point that would cover much of your expenses.

    How much will your parents pay for college?

    Did you apply to any privates that will meet need for int’l students?

    Did you apply to any schools that will give huge merit for stats?
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76455 replies3379 threads Senior Member

    Does CA offer the Calgrant to students like this if they graduated from a CA HS, and attended for a certain number of years....or is this for citizens or permanent residents only.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 84268 replies1045 threadsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Forum Champion
    edited February 2019
    Calgrants aren’t for int’l students with regular visas who happened to go to school in Calif.
    Calgrants can be given to “eligible non citizens” which are usually green card holders, and maybe some DACA students who meet the several req’ts.

    @Gumbymom ... is it true that some DACA students can get a Cal Grant but a regular visa holding Calif HS student who’s also lived in Calif for 4+ years can’t.
    If so, that seems like an odd policy.
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom 29103 replies245 threadsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    edited February 2019
    @mom2collegekids: I cannot answer that question. @kelsmom is an excellent resource for this question.
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76455 replies3379 threads Senior Member
    @kelsmom is Not in California...so not sure she would be all that familiar with CA grant policies.

    The other thing this student needs to find out...is he eligible for instate tuition at the CA publics.

    And the biggest...what if...CA schools do not give need based aid to out of state residents...so if he is viewed as an OOS resident for college purposes...he would be ineligible for CA funded need based aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 4327 replies56 threads Senior Member
    Can you afford full pay? What is your visa status and plan? How is medical care paid?
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10073 replies68 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2019
    cal grant information:
    Eligibility Requirements

    "Cal Grants are for students who are pursuing an undergraduate degree or vocational or career training in addition to meeting the financial criteria and Cal Grant requirements", the student must:

    submit the FAFSA or CADAA application and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline
    be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen or meet AB540 eligibility criteria*
    be a California resident for 1 year
    attend a qualifying California college
    not have a bachelor’s or professional degree
    have financial need at the college of your choice
    have family income and assets below the minimum levels
    be enrolled or plan to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
    be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half time
    have registered with the U.S. Selective Service, if required to do so
    not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan
    not be incarcerated
    maintain the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as established by the school. Recipients who do not meet the standards are ineligible for Cal Grant payment and will not use eligibility during the terms they are ineligible for payment.
    *(AB540 =By signing the AB 540 Affidavit, the applicant states that “I am a non-citizen without a current or valid immigration status and has filed an application to legalize my immigration status or will file an application as soon as I am eligible to do so.”)

    There is an income requirement.
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity