Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do NOT assume that a Scholarship will be given to Current College Student for Being on Dean’s List!

Replies to: Do NOT assume that a Scholarship will be given to Current College Student for Being on Dean’s List!

• damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    edited January 27
    ^ I caught the edit. Yes, I came in just before the lock on that last one. That parent had a lot of nerve.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 74,439 Senior Member
    I wonder if any high school guidance counselors routinely follow CC? It should be required!

@momof2atl for what? College costs? Ability to pay? Financial aid? At our schools, the GCs are there to discuss admission and are prohibited, due to privacy issues, to discuss family finances. The best they can do is to encourage families to be realistic about the costs of the colleges and what the families can afford. They can also tell families merit and, and suggest they complete the financial aid forms if the family wants to be considered for need based aid.

They cannot ask about family finances.

My one kid was on the deans list all but one term. It never dawned on me...at all...to think this would net this kid any kind of money. At all.

Some families live in the magical world where they think money for college will materialize out of no where when in reality, that doesn’t happen.

If parents really want to know IF there is new merit money READILY available for upperclass students, they should ask this question at each college.

No assumptions.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,716 Forum Champion
    And Deans List is so crazy easy to make at our school that S19 didn't even mention it on his common app

@homerdog I’m talking about current college students. Dean’s LIst at college.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,716 Forum Champion
    There also seems to be a large amount of entitlement on the part of the parents, as well as delusional thinking. Among other things, a 3.5 GPA is not that uncommon, and if any good school had to reduce tuition for all kids who have that GPA, they'd go under in a year or two.

Even if it was rare, did anybody tell them that this would happen?

Nobody of any authority told them that. Maybe their child told them that they had heard that, but no one should rely on that info as kids often are talking to other kids who don’t know any more than they do....
    Why were the high costs "unexpected"?

It was “unexpected” as they had convinced themselves that the first semester of good grades would be rewarded with merit.

But I try and help as many as possible understand the stakes. I have a friend (very successful accountant) who thought his son would be on the hook for a 40K per year loan (child received 5K per year scholarship) to go to a public university OOS.

Once he heard the truth (you are the one who would be on the hook), he had a conversation with his child who is currently happy at his local in-state institution. I am still shocked that he would have let his 18 year old take out a 40K loan if it were possible.

We’ve had a few of such posts here on College Confidential. In fact, the saddest ones have been where the student has repeatedly said that his parents told him, “don’t worry about cost,” only to find out in the spring of senior year that the parents thought the child could borrow “all the costs”. Once they found out that THEY would have to cosign, suddenly the student was left high and dry. Ugh.
  • CourtneyThurstonCourtneyThurston Registered User Posts: 1,376 Senior Member
    Yikes. There are hundreds and hundreds of students on my university's dean's list -- entire majors, almost, when it comes to the easier ones.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,591 Senior Member
    thumper1 wrote:
    At our schools, the GCs are there to discuss admission and are prohibited, due to privacy issues, to discuss family finances. The best they can do is to encourage families to be realistic about the costs of the colleges and what the families can afford. They can also tell families merit and, and suggest they complete the financial aid forms if the family wants to be considered for need based aid.

Do the counselors mention the net price calculators?
    edited February 6
    I have heard of small rare scholarships given to current high achieving college students. But not anything big given automatically to large numbers of students based on a GPA like 3.5.

Where did people get the notion that the latter is expected?

Perhaps a more common type of misconception about lowering costs after starting college involves gaining state residency after enrolling at an out of state public university, while the parents of a traditional age student remain in the original state. Most states make it difficult to do that.
  • Happy4uHappy4u Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    Frankly, judging by the naivete of some of the kids posting on CC, I am not surprised by parent's ignorance. I love CC, but often find myself scratching my head at these poor kids trying to navigate this process without parental help or guidance (at best) or total parental idiocy at worst.
    edited February 6
    Happy4u wrote:
    often find myself scratching my head at these poor kids trying to navigate this process without parental help or guidance (at best) or total parental idiocy at worst.

Or with parental "help" that is counterproductive like "don't worry about the cost, we'll figure that out later".

Or the occasional stories of students who first choice is something affordable, but the parents are pushing a higher cost higher debt choice that the student is less interested in.
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent Registered User Posts: 779 Member
    There is still an air of your daughter wasn't good enough for the Ivy league from friends and family. People seem to think the tippy top schools award big scholarships for top students. With all the merit out there for the 25-100 ranked colleges it seems looking back why anyone who is full pay would go the route of actually full pay if it could be avoided with an equally academically solid school. I think among the general population this scholarship myth widely exists. It does not surprise me to hear that people think scholarships will be awarded for Deans list etc once in school. The whole educated consumer thing goes without saying here...
  • International DadInternational Dad Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    edited February 8
    @mom2collegekids
    “I don’t know if that happens in foreign colleges because often that question comes from int’l parents/students. “

Yes, In my country the Universities don’t give merit scholarships for your grades in High school, normally you pay full price for first semester and some universities if you have excellents grades is posible a full tuition and fees for the next semester and is renovable.
    For e.g. mi mom paid for her first semester and the the othes had a fulltuition and fees.
    (We don’t have rooms).

I’d pay full price for first semester and I won a design competition and the prize was a full tuition and fees for second semester.

You receive a full tuition and fees for five years in the university than you choose if you are accepted, if you are a low income and have excellent grades in test, but normally is a Government program.

But as parent you need to do your homework and known about the College rules where your child is gonna study.
    Or with parental "help" that is counterproductive like "don't worry about the cost, we'll figure that out later".

I absolutely hate seeing that response. That one and the one where the student or parent says, “we’re going to apply to a number of schools regardless of cost, then in the spring we’ll put all the FA pkgs on the table and decide which ones are best.”

What if none of them are affordable? What if the kid applied to a bunch of pricey schools that don’t give much or any aid? Why would they assume that if one applies to 8-10+ schools that at least one of them is going to have an affordable aid pkg?
    Here is another example of what not to do:

Summer between 11th and 12th grade, "Money is not a factor in the decision": https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/1789885-best-schools-for-math-comp-sci-with-undergrad-research.html

Winter/spring 12th grade, "The problem is the money": https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1866912-need-advice-on-college-choice-etc-p1.html