Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Our Sons' Experience on Tinder

Replies to: Our Sons' Experience on Tinder

• momo2x2018momo2x2018 Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    I'd be more concerned with his apparent lack of regard for his / his partner's sexual health than his 'naivete', or where the next date / hook-up is coming from.
  • OspreyCV22OspreyCV22 Registered User Posts: 1,675 Senior Member
    @cbreeze wrote: …"and he is a radiologist..."

Is his name John? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7945720/
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,526 Senior Member
    LOL. Post of the day.
  • jonrijonri Registered User Posts: 7,307 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    Local news had this same story tonight..Mom of male student at Rowan U. is going around with his photo asking girls to date him.

http://www.wbtv.com/2019/02/11/not-rom-com-mom-scouting-date-son-draws-campus-ire/
  • momsquadmomsquad Registered User Posts: 1,116 Senior Member
    NPR aired a piece last year (around Valentine's Day!) about dating apps. The expert they interviewed advocated Tinder because it had the most number of people signed up. He said finding the right fit had more to do with numbers than the complex algorithms used by some of the apps. Most dating is preceded by extensive texting, so a hook-up only occurs if that is what both parties seek.

My daughter used OK Cupid for awhile and had some successful dating experiences. However the guy she is with now is someone she met in person and they bonded over some shared 'baggage'. I suspect their 'match' percentage would have been very low on a dating app because few people seek to match on the bad things going on in their lives.

Someone using Tinder needs to do everything possible to attract swipes so they can filter from the largest pool of candidates. A good photo and status as a college graduate should do the trick. As long as he's working I don't think job quality is a big issue for most women.
  • jonrijonri Registered User Posts: 7,307 Senior Member
    Oh, I think job quality is a HUGE issue for many young women who use apps like Tinder. Of course, I've no way of knowing that, but to me it seems likely it will matter.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Registered User Posts: 19,452 Senior Member
    I won't out her, but there's a cc poster whose ds met his current gf on Tinder. They've been together two years now and are living together.
  • deb922deb922 Registered User Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    The OP hasn’t come back so I’m not sure if they’ve left the building or not. They haven’t updated anything since the original post.

But in the OP, she was wondering why her son wasn’t meeting the type of girl they wanted to meet.

I pointed out that maybe tinder wasn’t working for him and that there are other dating sites out there that he might want to use. I also gave some other pointers about trying to find a girl he would like to be in a long term relationship with.

It seems that people want to dwell on tinder and that you can find a long term relationship on it. Yes you can, and there are reasons that it might not be working. This isn’t about is tinder bad. This is about what are good tips to find someone while navigating dating apps.

Or maybe I’m all wrong and the OP just wanted to vent. Her son may want to meet the kind of women he’s meeting on tinder and he may want exactly what he is finding.
  • Mom22039Mom22039 Registered User Posts: 588 Member
    I’ve read a review that indicates Bumble is worth looking at....
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,069 Senior Member
    @deb922 , I'm sure I've been guilty of being the thread diverter but you are really right that sometimes threads so awry because the OP isn't around to keep it on task. Without feedback from the OP about comments, we start making our own feedback!!

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 16,468 Senior Member
    Apparently safe sex isn't on the OP's son's radar. Put that on his profile so at least the buyer can beware.

He's got more issues than a bad photo.
  • deborahbdeborahb Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    And why is mom trying to solve this?
  • deb922deb922 Registered User Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    What a wise man you are @JHS