Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I feel like I am unfairly being denied a seat in a class I deserve next year

GotGRADESGotGRADES Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I’m trying to make a jump from regular math (geometry) to honors (algebra 2). Despite my high mark in the class (97% and a perfect score on every test, including the final), my teacher refused to recommend me for the class. She claims that in order to go from regular math to honors you had to take a bridge program over the summer, a program which the school removed meaning no one can jump from regular math to honors. However, I talked to my counselor and he told me that I could write a sort of petition saying why I deserve to be in the class. I did so, and my letter got sent up to god knows who. However, my appeal was denied and I will have to take regular algebra next year. I have always been naturally good in mathematics and I feel that I will not be challenged in a regular maths course like I was this year. Is there anything I can do or any person I can bring this up to in order to get the class I want?

Replies to: I feel like I am unfairly being denied a seat in a class I deserve next year

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,783 Super Moderator
    You need to ask the counselor, but I doubt there's anything he can do. Maybe he can get clarification as to why your appeal was denied.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,721 Forum Champion
    Is there a way to appeal the appeal?
    Who did you appeal to?
    What did you say?
    Did an adult look at your appeal?
    Can they (Math department head) explain how you can go from regular to Honors now?
    Is there some factor (e.g., classes are full) that you don't know about?
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,143 Senior Member
    Is there some other way to cover the bridge material in an online class or something? Talk to your counselor again.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,294 Senior Member
    Are your parents involved? They should be.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 4,546 Senior Member
    Get your parents involved to advocate. See if there is a self study course/book that you could do over the summer on your own to help the bridge the gap.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,642 Forum Champion
    You could take the bride program over the summer.
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot Registered User Posts: 3,866 Senior Member
    ^OP indicated that the bridge program isn't available over the summer.

I would talk to the department head. Even if they don't take your side, you might be able to get clarification on why the bridge program was removed and what (if anything) you could do to improve your chances of getting in to honors.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,416 Senior Member
    Ask if you can test into the class. Hard to deny you if you can.

Also with your parents ask the reason why. If your scoring that high doesn't make a lot of sense. Have your parents ask the teacher who will be teaching that class. As stated is the bridge given with online high school classes? Usually the district will ok them.
  • millie210millie210 Registered User Posts: 514 Member
    In general, honors tracks in math run a year ahead of regular math. That would explain why excellent grades and not being sufficiently challenged in regular math might not be enough to get you moved up to honors. You’re literally missing an entire year of math. That’s why the bridge program existed and it’s unfortunate that it’s gone.

I think you should combine several of the suggestions you’ve received here.

Get your parents involved and have them advocate for you for the following plan:

You will study like crazy over the summer. Get a tutor. Use Khan Academy. Take a summer school class. Whatever works.
    Ask for the syllabus from the bridge program, so you can make sure you’re covering all the topics they require.
    At the end of the summer/start of school, you’ll take an exam that covers all the material and if you do well enough, you can move up to honors. Or, maybe a good enough grade in a summer school course pre-approved by the appropriate people will suffice.

Good luck!
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,591 Senior Member
    edited February 19
    First, a question: How did you do in Algebra I? There's very little correlation between grades in Geometry and Algebra II--- there's a far, far bigger one with Algebra I. The fact that you weren't put into Geometry Honors this year makes me think that perhaps your Algebra skills were lacking last year, and that your school is trying to help you preserve your GPA.

Two, you mention having gotten a perfect grade on the Geometry final. How is that possible-- it's February?

Three. You mention that you made an appeal, and that it was denied. It seems to me that the process worked-- they considered your appeal, and for some reason found that you were going to struggle.

I've been teaching high school math since 1980. In my opinion, the hardest course offered by a typical high school math department is Algebra II & Trig. Kids struggle with it. My only failure last marking period was in my one section of Algebra II-- my Precalc kids are all doing fine.

Lots of people here seem to agree that you should be fighting the decision. I disagree. I think that the decision was probably made in your best interests. And that you should accept it, and decide to get the highest grades you can in the course into which you were placed.

There's no reason why your school would arbitrarily keep someone out of a class for which he was qualified. So I'm going with the assumption that you would struggle in honors, and that they're looking out for your best interests.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,294 Senior Member
    @bjkmom You made excellent points. My advice to get parents involved was made because this student seems to need an advocate.

If this student wants to study math, engineering, or physics in college, it will help him to have calculus experience in high school, not just from an admissions standpoint, but a purely preparatory one as well. His school's track might be set up so that honors math classes are the way to get there (that's pretty much the way ours is set).

If he, as he says, is getting perfect or nearly perfect scores on every test, the school should at least set a path (whether it is summer school or placement tests, etc.) to give him a shot at it. Discouraging an easy-A student from reaching higher doesn't make sense.

He might have taken his final already if his school is on block scheduling, or perhaps he meant "midterm", not "final".
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,591 Senior Member
    Again, an easy-A in Geometry is typically not indicative of a similar grade in Algebra II and Trig. They're two very different animals.

I still contend that if his Algebra I grades were similar, he would already be in in Honors.
  • momprof9904momprof9904 Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
    I am with bjkmom . What were the Algebra 1 grades like? If they were also high, then your parent(s) can make a good case for Alg 2 honors. Some school districts, like ours, make the honors track very difficult and there's often a big gap between the honors courses and the regular courses in terms of rigor. What is highest level math class that you can take as a senior if you're on the regular track?
  • milgymfammilgymfam Registered User Posts: 347 Member
    @bjkmom as a military family, we’ve been through 10 schools in my kids lives. At all of those schools, tracking for higher level/advanced/honors work came with you (or not) from the school before. My daughter was literally tracked for regular math in fifth grade and her four subsequent schools refused to budge- we always moved at the end of the summer and no one was willing to do any testing or determination outside of what class she’d come from at her last school. This is a kid who has never had less than a 95 in any class, math or otherwise, and had been in the gifted program (where available) since kindergarten. We decided to homeschool high school and do DE, and that solved our problems in general, but schools do not always have good reasons for refusing to change course.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 4,546 Senior Member
    I’m not disagreeing that it’s very difficult to jump up a math track, but the school could have capacity issues for their honors classes which could impact their flexibility.

OP - is it possible to double up on math? Some students at dd’s HS did that to reach calc before graduation.