Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

Replies to: Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

• natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    @Sue22 both my kids said things like that. That's why we tried to visit when school was in session, but it was hard to do, sometimes visiting over spring or winter break was all we had time for!
    My D didn't want to go to a certain school because a girl from high school that she didn't like was going there...
    The school is a flagship State U that has about 32,000 students. I think it would've been easy for her to avoid that girl, they also have little in common...but oh well, it was her choice and the money didn't work out anyway.
    I went to the same college as a couple of kids from my high school class and I maybe saw them once or twice in passing freshman year...we weren't friends so we didn't seek each other out.
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 851 Member
    College mail has started big time for D21. We will not be considering any schools in TN since that’s where the KKK began. SC is off, too, because they succeeded first!
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 1,843 Senior Member
    edited February 17
    ^Yikes! So if Vanderbilt is a candidate, then it’s out even though it’s a top school? Although I wonder if the Nathan Bedford Forest statue is still there in Nashville. Didn’t dissuade my former co-worker (African American female) from attending.

By that criteria, Princeton should be out as well as Woodrow Wilson was very sympathetic to the Klan and supposedly ‘Birth of a Nation’ had its premiere in the White House. And he was a governor of New Jersey.

And Stanford is out as well. Leland Stanford was a well known racist and anti-Chinese. The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1881 was primary his doing.
  • eb23282eb23282 Registered User Posts: 398 Member
    In Hamurtle's defense, many of the "stupid" reasons in this thread are in fact "rational". They may seem trivial at first glance, but can certainly have legitimate merit. With that said, birth state of the KKK and first state to secede don't really pass the "rational" test.
  • CottonTalesCottonTales Registered User Posts: 986 Member
    @NJWrestlingmom , you are kidding, right?
  • CadesmomCadesmom Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    We live in Wisconsin and we tried to tour UW-Madison 2 times and left before the tour both times because the student guides walked in clapping and cheering...he said, Nope! The adult giving the presentation also used poor grammar...he and another random boy at our table looked at each other and mouthed...No Way....not a great sell on Wisconsin. I kept encouraging him to just apply but it didn't happen. Nothing could change his feel there.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 2,804 Senior Member
    My Class of 2022 kid redlined all schools in the South. I agreed. :-bd
    @Cadesmom that was a pet peeve of my husband's! In one case the guide was a journalism and English major! :-S