Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Doing more than 40 pushups in a row associated with fewer future cardiovascular events

Replies to: Doing more than 40 pushups in a row associated with fewer future cardiovascular events

• mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 31,628 Senior Member
    I could do about 12 son approved push-ups when he got out of Officer Candidate School - as I recall it was good enough for my age group if I'd been at OCS. Unfortunately something weird is going on with my hands. Left had a week of what I assume was carpal tunnel pain (brace helped), now the right hand thumb base is sore, but in a different way. Can't even do one push up until this resolves. Grrr.
  • shellfellshellfell Registered User Posts: 3,146 Senior Member
    If it's so, I'm doomed. Altho as someone else pointed out, all the subjects were men, average age of 40, and firefighters. The researchers don't know that these results would hold for women, or older people.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,941 Super Moderator
    DH is 64 and can do 30. Now he says I've got him thinking about it and he's going to work for 40! (Nobody believes him when he says he's that old.)
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,177 Senior Member
    Oh, as if! :))
  • yearstogoyearstogo Registered User Posts: 602 Member
    I saw this two days ago and was proudly able to do 40. I then read a more detailed article and it indicated you had to do 40 to the beat of an 80 bpm metronome without missing the beat more than 3 times. I was too sore to try it yesterday but found an online 80 bpm metronome and was able to do it today. I think my form is still decent. I am 50 so that is not too bad I think.

DS is 16 and also did it. He seemed to do it a bit easier and I think he could have kept going...not me.
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 2,439 Senior Member
    Anyone that can do 40 push-ups with proper form and no rests can also bench press more than their body weight. If you can't bench press at least your body weight, but are counting that many push-ups, you are probably cheating on your form somehow.
  • yearstogoyearstogo Registered User Posts: 602 Member
    I can definitely still press my body weight ;-)

I pressed twice my body weight many, many years ago in high school...but I am nowhere near that now.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 33,557 Senior Member
    edited February 19
    I probably haven’t done 40 pushups cumulative in my life. I believe S could but he’s 31 and very fit.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    Do handstand pushups count? I did 42 of those in 4 sets yesterday, along with 42 weighted squats and 42 pull-ups . ;)
    Anyone that can do 40 push-ups with proper form and no rests can also bench press more than their body weight.

I read that a pushup represents lifting about 50-65% of your bodyweight. I'm stll right around 1.5x bodyweight for bench press. Ahh, I miss the old days.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 33,557 Senior Member
    edited February 19
    I will likely die of other things and not anything CV related. My heart is in better shape than my lungs or hyperactive allergies, for instance.

As my folks and all my sibs are still alive and pretty healthy, I’d say odds are I will live a pretty long and relatively healthy life.

You really do wonder how funding is generated for these studies.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,552 Senior Member
    I guess the good news is very few will live long enough to stress the healthcare system.
  • anomanderanomander Registered User Posts: 1,610 Senior Member
    I think the article summary should really say that people who exercise regularly, lift weights, are required to be physically fit and active for their jobs - which require passing physical tests to get in the first place, are less likely to have cardiovascular disease. Shocker, truly.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,975 Senior Member
    what was more scary to me is Firefighters that cannot do 10 pushups.....
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,040 Senior Member
    edited February 19
    I wouldn't assume firefighters are all fit. The ones I used to see when I lived near a station were not. There were plenty of fat chaps. I am not sure there is a baseline fitness per se for all F'Fs.