Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Legacies, full pay and donors. Misguided anger?

Replies to: Legacies, full pay and donors. Misguided anger?

• Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,903 Senior Member
    edited March 3
    Well, Yale built a new dorm at the cost of $600,000 per bed. If it isn't nice, perhaps it did not get its money's worth.
    @ucbalumnus, as I pointed out in the "How did colleges get to be so expensive?" thread, that was the price per bed for two new residential colleges, not simple dorms. The new RCs look like Yale's others and have the interior features found in the other RCs, such as dining halls, libraries, and meeting and recreation spaces. You're comparing apples to oranges.
  • SouthernHopeSouthernHope Registered User Posts: 2,187 Senior Member
    edited March 3
    Somebody upstream mentioned geo diversity and I believe that's a bigger deal than usually imagined. In a thread last year on the hardest-to-get-into-college profile (with everything being equal), it was a white middle-class girl from suburban new jersey with no hooks who would have the hardest time. And then it kind of went down from there. Conversly, the "same" girl, say, placed in Wyoming might find herself better courted.

All to say, there are many variables when building a class.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 3,078 Senior Member
    They do, it’s called in state tuition, or shall we just slash professors salaries, let the facilities become run down, and so forth. No one is happy with rising tuition but no one has to pay $80k either. Lots of good options under 30k total cost.
  • oliviaepleyoliviaepley Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    edited March 3
    I'm dealing with this myself. I live in a very wealthy county and many people I know have subpar SATs, extracurriculars, etc, OR have good versions of those things bc they could afford a private tutoring company, had connections to the governor's office, etc, AND will get into Harvard bc their parents bought a building or both went there etc. Being on food stamps in this county, I feel a great deal of anger about how rigged the whole thing seems. It's not completely, but there are legs up that my wealthy classmates have that I don't. It hurts.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 75,341 Senior Member
    edited March 3
    Sue22 wrote:
    that was the price per bed for two new residential colleges, not simple dorms. The new RCs look like Yale's others and have the interior features found in the other RCs, such as dining halls, libraries, and meeting and recreation spaces. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Dorms not specially labeled as residential colleges typically have dining halls and additional rooms for meetings and recreation. Of course, it could also be argued that the additional features of a residential college that cost extra are a luxury feature that is not really essential to getting a good college education.

Here is an article about Yale's new residential colleges:

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2014/04/04/faculty-defend-new-college-expenses/
    The per-student construction cost of [MIT's] Simmons Hall was $268,000 — more than quadruple the national average of $48,387 per student, according to a 2008 report by American School & University magazine. In contrast, the per-student cost of Yale’s new residential colleges, which will house 400 students each, will be approximately $625,000 per student.

The article also notes Princeton's Whitman [residential] College, built at a cost of $272,000 per bed.

What makes Yale's new residential colleges cost more than ten times (adjusting the national average number for inflation since 2008) that of an average college dorm, or more than twice that of other elite college housing?
  • vpa2019vpa2019 Registered User Posts: 248 Junior Member
    edited March 3
    @ucbalumnus. construction always costs way more than it should. Villanova just built new dorms for 1100 students with a $200 million dollar price tag. Location and labor costs are also very expensive in the NE.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 75,341 Senior Member
    $200 million for 1,100 beds is about $182,000 per bed, far lower than what Yale spent.
    The rich always have a leg up in EVERYTHING. They just have more resources to use on whatever they want. Get into trouble they will get the best lawyers, have a medical issue they will pay for the best doctors, so forth and so on.
  • hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Well, isn't the point of making more money to have better goods, services, and legal protection? If not, why would anyone bother?
  • collegemom9collegemom9 Registered User Posts: 488 Member
    My son is a legacy and not full pay.
    @hebegebe absolutely!