Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

Replies to: Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

• mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 2,194 Senior Member
    @ucbalumnus hypothetically, some might not have understood they were recruited and so never even showed up for practice. If someone they trusted (parent) and even a coach told them that was a mix up but the admission was real, they might have believed it. Or at least wanted to enough not to ask questions.
    Additionally, some of them might have been narcissistic enough to think someone saw them play tennis at a country club and offered them admission based on that. Those kids might go to a few practices and then realize they are in over their heads. If the coach tells them it’s no problem, they can quit the team then perhaps they wouldn’t have wondered more about it.
    Obviously some would have known on at least some level.
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 4,026 Senior Member
    @Publisher I'm talking about going the "legit development" route. If you are rich and want your kid to attend an Ivy because of your donation, it better be 7 figures.
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 682 Member
    At HYPS you are looking at close to 8 figures.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 6,923 Senior Member
    The plan I wrote about was the work of graduate business school admissions officers who had formed an educational consulting group. Their actions were known to & approved by the Ivy League school. The price was a $10,000 fee & an ED application.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,408 Senior Member
    If you are the kid who actually scored 23 on ACT and came out with a 32... surely, on some level, you know? Or do you just think you got lucky on the day?

I can believe not all of these kids knew ...but some must have, and some must have suspected.
  • damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 838 Member
    As the parent of a child with an IEP who really does have learning disabilities requiring extra time on SAT/ACT exams, this particular disclosure makes me so mad!!

It's just scammers, not personal. But it probably does mean any time extension requests your daughter makes in the future will be scrutinized more closely.
  • OUBOBCAT92OUBOBCAT92 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I am wondering if this may change some aspects of the admissions process going forward. It was an eye opening experience when going through the college admissions process with my son (class of 2023) this past year. The treatment he received at the more "elite" schools was clearly evident while visiting those schools in comparison to the not so "elite" schools. I will be really curious to see where the end result will be with all of this.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 6,923 Senior Member
    @scoutmom2002 : Diagnosis of a learning disability in order to get special testing accommodations is a not uncommon, nor new, practice. In some cases it is unethical & in most cases it is not.
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 Registered User Posts: 395 Member
    I agree @SJ2727 I think some had to know/suspect. But at the same time, you're a 17-18 yr old kid w/ a mommy and daddy saying here I just spent six figures on getting you into your dream school. What are you going to do... say no and call the feds?! I think not.