right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Fraternity controversy at Swarthmore

milgymfammilgymfam 662 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 674 Member
edited May 1 in Parents Forum
I have no idea where this post should be parked, but as a parent I was struck by a feeling of relief that my D fell out of love with Swat and in love with a school with zero Greek presence, so here it is in parent cafe.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3634109002

Weren’t they trying to get the frats there shut down years ago?
edited May 1
166 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Fraternity controversy at Swarthmore

• intparentintparent 36291 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,935 Senior Member
    There certainly have been protests for several years.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76552 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,217 Senior Member
    https://www.swarthmore.edu/sites/default/files/assets/documents/institutional-research/2018-2019 Common Data Set Swarthmore College.pdf says that 11.3% of men join fraternities and 3.0% of women join sororities at Swarthmore.
    · Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 662 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 674 Member
    Wow, that’s quite the gender imbalance! Together they make up a small portion of the student body. Too small to be worth all this trouble imo.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76552 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,217 Senior Member
    edited May 1
    https://swarthmorephoenix.com/2019/04/21/i-was-a-member-of-phi-psi-swarthmores-fraternities-must-go/ is an opinion from a student who was a member of Phi Psi from 2011-2015. He is calling for the removal of fraternities at Swarthmore.

He does mention that Phi Psi was closely associated with the lacrosse team:
    The group’s affiliation with the lacrosse team, a group I was also a part of, partially explains this inaction. This misguided association begins even before admittance to the school, where players on the team who were fraternity members would often bring prospective students to the house. As a result, they communicated a not-so-subtle message that the fraternity was simply a natural extension of the team, putting pressure on players to join. I noticed that players who did not join the fraternity frequently quit playing lacrosse after a year or two.
    edited May 1
    · Reply · Share
  • Dave_BerryDave_Berry 492 replies2451 discussionsCC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,943 Senior Member
    "A sit-in at a Swarthmore College fraternity entered its fourth day Tuesday as student protesters demand the banning of two Greek organizations after offensive material from one fraternity’s 'meeting minutes' surfaced in April.

The action started Saturday afternoon, and organizers say they don’t plan to leave until their demands are met. Based on the results of past sit-ins at the school, that’s not a bad bet."...

https://www.philly.com/news/swarthmore-sit-in-history-fraternities-sexual-assault-black-enrollment-football-program-delaware-county-20190430.html
    · Reply · Share
  • yourmommayourmomma 1320 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,321 Senior Member
    Yawn. So statements by students in a private meeting who are no longer there are "offensive." Nobody keeps meeting minutes like that. They don't even have a Greek system -- it's like two houses, which aren't even houses. Time to go back to class.
    · Reply · Share
  • yourmommayourmomma 1320 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,321 Senior Member
    There is another article in the NYT that documents current students who have told the administrators about current sexual assaults happening on campus. This is not ancient history nor a yawn.

And who is committing those assaults? How many are prosecuted? There's like 12 guys in their entire greek system. If bad things are going on it's not the greek system that's the problem. And now, according to the above post the frats are gone. But the assaulters are still there.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7391 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,467 Senior Member
    I think that one of the most thorough college guides ever written "Choosing The Right College" is no longer published, but it detailed some unusual practices at Swarthmore College.
    · Reply · Share
  • HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch 2445 replies31 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,476 Senior Member
    "Choosing the Right College," the one that the NYT called "a right-wing slant on choosing the right college"? If that's the one you're talking about, it's worth being frank about that fact that it is an unapologetically conservative tome from a very conservative organization.

"Midge Decter, a neoconservative author and critic, said she was delighted by the book. ''When I was shown the book I suggested that they add a final chapter entitled 'Burn Them Down,' '' she said, laughing.
    · Reply · Share
  • HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch 2445 replies31 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,476 Senior Member
    Here's another choice quote: "Pomona College and its president, Peter W. Stanley, are criticized for having ''acceded to the demands of the political activists'' in allowing the formation of an Asian-American studies department last year. ''Why not an Italian-American studies department or a Nepalese-American studies department?'' the authors ask dismissively."
    · Reply · Share
  • RW1RW1 182 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/us/swarthmore-fraternities-sit-in/index.html . It just seems like there are problems everywhere you look; even at tiny sedate campuses like Swarthmore. There are so many non PC activities built into greek life that most universities could find themselves in trouble.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7391 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,467 Senior Member
    Yes. Most thorough college guide ever written.

Great resource for both conservatives & liberals.
    · Reply · Share
    My point is that readers would benefit from an awareness of the perspective of the group deciding, for example, what might constitute "unusual practices" at any fairly liberal college.

· Reply · Share
    Some information associated with Choosing the Right College used to be at http://collegeguide.org (now just redirects to a site advertising the organization's books), including red/yellow/green ratings about the political environment from a right-leaning political viewpoint. Left-leaning students could reverse the political ratings to match their preferences.
    · Reply · Share