right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Fraternity controversy at Swarthmore

Replies to: Fraternity controversy at Swarthmore

• PublisherPublisher 7388 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,464 Senior Member
    Yes. Most thorough college guide ever written.

Great resource for both conservatives & liberals.
    · Reply · Share
  • HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch 2437 replies31 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,468 Senior Member
    My point is that readers would benefit from an awareness of the perspective of the group deciding, for example, what might constitute "unusual practices" at any fairly liberal college.

· Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76484 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,149 Senior Member
    Some information associated with Choosing the Right College used to be at http://collegeguide.org (now just redirects to a site advertising the organization's books), including red/yellow/green ratings about the political environment from a right-leaning political viewpoint. Left-leaning students could reverse the political ratings to match their preferences.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 1216 replies42 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,258 Senior Member
    Any school with such a small fraternity presence means those orgs are by nature marginalized and ripe for controversy. A college should either have Greek life (and closely monitor it) or not -- having a tiny sliver of your student body take part seems unwise.

That said, Swat is known for lots of student dissent -- didn't they do prolonged sit-ins in the President's office a few years ago?

My D's great friend goes there now. I know several alums. It's a great school academically, but i knew for my D that kind of intense campus politics would be exhausting and distracting so I was glad when she didn't even want to visit.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22082 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22,096 Senior Member
    If fraternities and sororities are so horrible, why do they continue to grow? Why do students even want to join them, go underground to form them, pay money to belong? At Swarthmore, 1 in 10 male students want to join a frat. Is the recruiting pitch "hey, come join and we'll rape girls and do drugs"? I bet not.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7388 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,464 Senior Member
    I know of an LAC that closed all 6 fraternities for several years due to excessive partying. Eventually reopened two fraternities--the jock frat & the druggie frat. I suspect that the rest of the student body was happy to be segregated from both groups.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlaParentFlaParent 82 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    edited May 1
    Trixy34 wrote: Personally, I feel that there is no use/reason for greek societies on most campuses. I would love to see them abolished at more schools. They make college shopping all the more difficult for students who do not want to rush. what you want to quote

What a frightening thought process. Take a choice away (joining a frat/sorority) because it might make it harder for someone who does not want to be in one? Wow! Just wow!
    edited May 1
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76484 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,149 Senior Member
    Publisher wrote:
    I know of an LAC that closed all 6 fraternities for several years due to excessive partying. Eventually reopened two fraternities--the jock frat & the druggie frat. I suspect that the rest of the student body was happy to be segregated from both groups.

Did the "jock" one dominate the social scene for athletes (or a particular team's athletes) to the point that it was hard to ignore by athletes who were not interested?
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 1
    @ucbalumnus: My understanding is that the school brought in a new president who had been a member of that jock frat as a student at that LAC & wanted to bring it back. To the best of my knowledge, the frat involved jocks from several different teams & the community was pleased to have them living & dining elsewhere.
    edited May 1
    · Reply · Share
    When my daughter was applying to colleges last fall, she was mainly focused on colleges that have abolished greek life completely.

Wouldn't all colleges that prohibit student participation in fraternities and sororities be private ones?
    · Reply · Share