right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How to get into top MBA program

Ronniew97Ronniew97 0 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
Currently, I'm an undergrad student who is graduating with 3.4 GPA in Financial Economics, My goal is to work in an accounting firm and get a CPA and I have enough credits to do so. Then after that, my goal is to get an MBA however my GPA isn't as high for the top programs.

I read that GPA doesn't matter as much as and programs take into consideration GMAT and experience. What would I need to do to be attractive to a top program? I wanted to add that I have very minimal work experience.
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How to get into top MBA program

• sciencenerdsciencenerd 1533 replies236 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,769 Senior Member
    Your GPA should be good for most programs.

Business schools look at GPA+GMAT+Work experience. What have you achieved in your job? What value have you added? etc.

A CPA and MBA is common. Just curious why not one over the other?

I would also suggest reading the GMAT Club Forum website.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7390 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,466 Senior Member
    Too early to offer specific advice for your situation. As there are well over 500 fully accredited MBA programs in the US, selective admissions (below 50% accepted) is only a concern at about 50 or 60 fulltime 2 year MBA programs. Plus, you may opt for a one year specialty masters degree rather than an MBA.

Business schools are primarily concerned with an applicant's post undergraduate work experience & an applicant's reasons for wanting an MBA degree. Then GMAT score & recommendations & GPA. If you earn a CPA designation & license, then GPA becomes even less important.

Working for a Big 4 & earning a CPA license is not particularly attractive to the most elite MBA programs, although it certainly does not disqualify one.

It is common for recent accounting grads to get a masters in accounting or in taxation right after college or very, very early in one's career.
    · Reply · Share
  • cbreezecbreeze 4680 replies88 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    If you want to stay in accounting/controller type jobs CPA will suffice. If you work several years in a big accounting firm, an MBA will not increase your salary much. Most CPAs I know go on for an EMBA paid by their employers.
    · Reply · Share