right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Sympathy gift

gouf78gouf78 7787 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
Friends husband died yesterday and I’m at a total loss. She’s obviously devastated. Don’t want to send flowers unless someone has a particularly great company to order from that I should consider. Doesn’t have to be big but looking for something thoughtful.
Ideas?
37 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Sympathy gift

• bajammbajamm 1653 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Is there a cause that is important to your friend or her husband that you could donate to? Otherwise maybe a gift card to a favorite restaurant that delivers carry out. Then she doesn't have to cook and can go out or stay in as she wants.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22990 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you think your friend likes gardening, you might 'send' a rose bush or something for her garden. You can arrange those through Home Depot.

More than anything I'm sure she'd like to hear from you or even see you. Invite her for a weekend when she is ready.
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7787 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Rose bush is great idea. She does enjoy gardening. Unfortunately I’m taking care of my dad and just in town on a limited basis so as much as I’d like I can’t make any plans. In fact I’m gone again tomorrow or i would definitely make food. Not sure who delivers. She’s 30 min away and I don’t really know her area. Good thought though.
    She hasn’t made any plans yet even. Just too sudden.
    · Reply · Share
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 861 replies49 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited May 6
    I like to give rose bushes for most occasions; where possible - this is what I do : I try to choose a rose with a name of significance ie for a 50th birthday 'Golden Celebration' You can name your own rose here : https://www.countrygardenroses.co.uk/shop/31-Name-Your-Own-Rose
    For example gouf78's Rose or Mr. Gouf78 or Mr & Mrs Gouf78 etc
    edited May 6
    · Reply · Share
  • yauponreduxyauponredux 730 replies25 threadsRegistered User Member
    @houndmom hit the nail on the head - checking in periodically after everyone else has moved on is a huge gift, especially on birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Meeting for lunch or a walk gives your friend an opportunity to talk if she likes. You don’t need to worry about not knowing what to say as just being present with her is really all you can do.
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 1768 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I've been thinking about what to buy/do for friends who lost an adult child (it's been 3 months and I've already done a variety of things including providing meals, offering rides, visiting with her elderly mother, etc.) At post #2, I thought, 'great idea!', they have a beautiful garden and I'll give them something they can add to it. But, after the comments about its possible demise, I think an engraved stone for their garden might be better and certainly not something I would have thought of on my own. Thank you.
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7787 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Love the stone idea!
    I bought a beautiful orchid today to take to her tomorrow. I thought that was somewhere in between flowers and something that needed to be planted. They really don’t need a lot of care and should last quite awhile.
    But keep suggestions coming please!
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34332 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes, perhaps a nice stepping stone would be nice and portable, requiring no care. I had never thought of nor purchased such a gift but it is something to keep in mind.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3js3ks3js3ks 316 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    You could send a gift of Cheryl's Cookie treats. That is what I send to friends and family instead of flowers.
    https://www.cheryls.com/
    I think I actually sent Wolferman's the last time I needed to give a sympathy gift.
    · Reply · Share
  • gclsportsgclsports 480 replies17 threadsRegistered User Member
    When my Grandma passed, I got my mom and aunt (her long term caregivers) each the Willow Tree figurine that symbolized sympathy and wrote personalized, handwritten letters to each of them expressing how much I appreciated the great care they had given grandma in the last years of her life. You could get some similar figurine and write a note with some special memories of your friend’s husband or otherwise expressing your sympathy for her loss.
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1716 replies197 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Chocolate. Take her chocolate. Sometimes when you feel like you can’t eat anything, you can still eat chocolate.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5273 replies77 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We purchased a perpetual prayer from a monastery in CT. It comes in a Very tasteful diploma like package. The name of the deceased and the prayer. The monastery will continue to pray for him and the family in perpetuity. My friend from work was so moved by it he brought it work to show me and keeps it nearby.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls 2250 replies29 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have a friend whose young husband suddenly died. One thing she was gifted with that she seemed to really appreciate was a star being named after her husband.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32380 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Honestly the best gifts I got when my parents passed away (at different times not together!) were the letters that told funny stories I had never heard before.
    · Reply · Share