right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

UCSD Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

Replies to: UCSD Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

• Tiredwaiting2019Tiredwaiting2019 26 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Tesla01 no they are not required. The summer orientations vary depending on your college and major. Both have orientations.
    · Reply · Share
  • IBkidonthestreetIBkidonthestreet 119 replies5 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    At Triton Day, did anyone get information about Roosevelt college?
    · Reply · Share
  • sagaciousforeversagaciousforever 887 replies0 postsRegistered User Member
    edited May 12
    @IBkidonthestreet I went to Triton Day and I got into ERC.

I should have chosen Marshall as my first choice. I have just heard that the GEs at ERC are very hard.

Also, ERC is far from the main campus (15 to 20 minutes walk) but it's close to Village (the dorms where the majority of the residents are transfer students)

I will probably stay at Pepperdine if I don't get into USC (should be hearing back soon).
    edited May 12
    · Reply · Share
  • Ohm888Ohm888 2360 replies61 postsForum Champion UC Transfers Forum Champion
    @sagaciousforever all this work and torment and you might stay at Pepperdine. ☹️
    · Reply · Share
  • CAtransplantCAtransplant 521 replies12 postsRegistered User Member
    @sagaciousforever My daughter went to Triton Day also along with her Dad, my husband. They spoke to a counselor at her college, Thurgood Marshall. From what they were told, at least at Marshall, if you've completed the Gen Ed. at your current college, you can get a letter from your college to give to Marshall and then that serves as your Gen Ed at Marshall other than two upper division courses. I wonder if ERC has the same policy? But I don't know if you've completed all the Gen Ed that Pepperdine requires? Also, will you have to be going to ERC a lot once you're a student there? Not clear on how much the transfer students have to be going to their college.

My daughter just submitted her SIR and I changed my profile pic - I used to be the Green square with the yellow O. Go Tritons!!
    · Reply · Share
    @CAtransplant proud mama! ❤️
    · Reply · Share
  • samdol2samdol2 9 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    Hello I already uploaded this on UCI thread but I would like to get some advice from here too. so please read my situation and share me with your clever ideas. Thank you in advance. :smiley:

Hi guys. this is my first post on this thread. I got into UCI as junior level for Chinese major. But I want to change my major to biology or other major. I just searched their website about changing major, and it says there is possible to change to biology major. (not 100% sure). in the meantime, I got waitlisted UCSD same major. if I have a change to declare to biology at UCSD I will. but unfortunately, they never allow transfer students to change capped major. but personally, I really love UCSD over UCI (I know both of schools really good). so if I get off waitlist from UCSD which choice would be good for me? if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

P.S I am sorry for not being fluent in English. I am still learning :blush:
    · Reply · Share
    Sounds like you went in deliberately knowing that was the plan. Chinese is easy to get into and diametrically opposed. Bio has a ton of requirements. Unless you managed to get most done plan on an extra year at the UC.
    · Reply · Share
  • samdol2samdol2 9 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    I didn;t mean to go into an easy major and change impacted major. Originally, in another four year University, my major was business and I also studied Chinese as minor. But I ended up drop out of school there. Because I thought major wasn't right fit for me. And I couldn't find right major for me so far. So I applied to UC's for Chinese major. But I have been interested in Bio study lately. so I am just asking :neutral:
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 13
    @Ohm888 My dream/top schools to transfer is UCLA and USC, so UCSD is kind of in the middle. But after visiting UCSD, I feel like I enjoy living and studying at Pepperdine more.

Hopefully, I will make USC. Overall, the transfer process is still not a waste though since I have learned so much more about myself and have some good essays for future references.
    edited May 13
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom 27444 replies143 postsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    @samdol2: From the UCI website:

Effective Fall, 2013:

No change of major will be approved for entering transfer students. Transfer students who meet the UCI admission requirements for biological sciences before entering UCI must also meet the following requirements: completion at UCI of at least 4 of the required science courses for the major, two of which must be required biological sciences courses, with an average GPA of 2.00 or better. Transfer students who did not meet the UCI admission requirements for biological sciences before entering UCI will not have the option to declare the major at any time in the future.
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 13
    @CAtransplant Nice! Good luck to her studying at UCSD in Fall 2019.

I finished most of the GEs at Pepperdine and I don't think ERC has that policy : (

On Triton Day, I reached out to many current students and they told me that your GEs are mostly taught in your own college but your major classes and some GEs could be taken anywhere in UCSD.
    edited May 13
    · Reply · Share
  • CAtransplantCAtransplant 521 replies12 postsRegistered User Member
    @sagaciousforever thanks! And actually I just checked, and ERC does have that policy. Look at this link under GE Certification Exception or Partial GE Certification Exception https://roosevelt.ucsd.edu/academics/gen-ed/index.html#GE-Certification-Exception-or-P so if you re concerned about this but still interested in UCSD, take a look at that.
    · Reply · Share
    @samdol2 ahh, I see. No worries. It is a strategy some use. That said, it will likely take you longer. 😀
    · Reply · Share
  • poolsideconvo78poolsideconvo78 73 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Still deciding between UCSB and UCSD. Not sure which one I should choose
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 14
    @poolsideconvo78 I suggest you to consider the following:

1) The university that is closer to your home. If there is a significant time difference (1 hour away vs 3-4 hours away, I would pick the closer one).
    2) UCSD is socially dead and if you are a party animal then I would suggest UCSB.
    3) UCSD's GEs are pretty hard so make sure you are ready.

In terms of reputation and academic prestige, UCSD is slightly better than UCSB.
    edited May 14
    · Reply · Share
  • cloud7cloud7 159 replies18 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @poolsideconvo78 Have you visited both schools?
    · Reply · Share
  • poolsideconvo78poolsideconvo78 73 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @cloud7 Yes I have. I live in San Diego so I am familiar with UCSD
    · Reply · Share
  • JustTakeMeJustTakeMe 29 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Ok decided to decline UCSD. Sorry it took a while so here is hoping someone on the waitlist gets this spot. Good luck to all who is waitlisted.
    · Reply · Share
  • shouldastudiedshouldastudied 9 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
    I keep forgetting to ask about housing. Where do I find a roommate and should I go for the Village or Off-campus housing?
    · Reply · Share