Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me for HYPS

2»

Replies to: Chance me for HYPS

• wistfulwordswistfulwords Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    edited May 15
    I think you're faking this entire post or at least falsifying your achievements. You said previously that you were a sophomore in 2019 and like @toandfro said did not do much creative writing. How could you know your 12th grade leadership roles as a sophomore? Also, the Leonard L. Milberg '53 poetry contest at Princeton is only open to juniors, so I strongly doubt you cheated and won as a sophomore. I know the only asian-american who got an honorable mention in the Princeton poetry contest this year, and I strongly doubt you guys are the same person.

So I don't know why you're acting as if you're going into senior year as a sophomore. If you really had these accomplishments, then you'd have a pretty decent shot at the Ivies. But you don't, you aren't even in eleventh grade yet according to your previous posts.

Of course you should try to achieve as much as you can in high school. But faking a resume helps no one. These "chance me"s you got are bogus, because you haven't actually achieved some (or all) of the stuff in your post.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 28,093 Senior Member
    With top of the top numbers in everything, it’s still no guarantee to get into HYPMS. The winning touch is often some very strong connection, truly outstanding achievement in well recognized national event or being a great asset in an activity the school covets it seeks. Certain debate honors, Siemens Competition winners , athletic recruits, impressive research, all of these things assessed by the colleges depending on what they want or need at the time come into play.

Since hardly any of us know what’s on any particular college’s wish list,making assessments is pure guessing. Your resume is certainly one that puts you into the running. But would I bet that Princeton will take you. Nope.
  • GoBears2023GoBears2023 Forum Champion Summer Programs Posts: 710 Forum Champion
    I agree with @wistfulwords
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 32,500 Senior Member
    Applying Early gives NO boost, if you do not match what the target wants.

Yes, I also agree this thread looks like a hopeful projection. And by someone who doesn't yet understand what will matter.

Just an aside. Too many kids claim to have founded a national lit mag or been publsihed in an international one, or in some low-vetting online something. That's not a tip.

About the GPA: assume 5 courses per semester. First time Icalculated, I got a 3.93 using 8 semesters. Not going to retrace my steps.
    OP hasn't completed 8 semesters.

• cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 28,093 Senior Member
    There was a book, “What The Ivy League Schools Really Want”, I believe was the title, that has an excellent section in assessing ECs as done by the most selective schools.

I agree that too many kids and parents put too much onto certain awards that the top colleges do not assess the same way
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 32,500 Senior Member
    Just watch for any book written by any outsider. They're written to sell and in some noticeablec cases, make the author seem oh so savvy. Esp if that's a pro counselor.

Tippy top admissions is a sort of moving target. The basics remain. but year to year, some particulars can shift. .