right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Help finding match schools?

2»

Replies to: Help finding match schools?

• LynnskiLynnski 245 replies12 threads Junior Member
    Because your ECs and interests and classes are more compelling than your test scores, you might want to look at "test-optional" schools for potential matches.
    · Reply · Share
  • graduating2020graduating2020 62 replies18 threads Junior Member
    edited May 2019
    @Lynnski @cptofthehouse The main con of my profile is my SAT score, then? For UF and FSU, would UF Dual Enrollment help for Fall 2019? I signed up for Fall and have secured a spot in their DE program (I just have to pick my courses).
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43229 replies471 threads Senior Member
    yes - as long as you get good grades of course ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • shuffle1shuffle1 115 replies1 threads Junior Member
    A 1240 SAT is around a 80th percentile of the whole population of test takers, and you're hovering just under that now. That population of all the test takers is not reflective of the population applying to the schools you are talking about; the people applying alongside you are the higher performers to start with. Among the applicants to those schools, your 1200 will not be in the 80th percentile, it'll be much lower in that pool and that may suppress both admissions and merit aid. That's why it's important to either resolve that with a significant improvement, go with test-optional schools, or overwhelm the application reviewer with other components that put you on a pedestal. See cpt's guidance on admissions approach.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheSATTeacherTheSATTeacher 236 replies0 threads Junior Member
    If you can get the 1400, then I think you are a stronger applicant than many on here think you are.

I would also recommend looking at plenty of schools that promise to meet 100% of demonstrated need, as these schools should be much more affordable for you.

I also applaud your decision to take pre-calc over the summer.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2740 replies36 threads Senior Member
    Consider test optional schools (Chicago and Wake Forest) as well.

I assume you should be considered URM. Jamaican Chinese/Hispanic is certainly unusual enough and if you identify with any specific group growing up, it might be an interesting essay topic.

I remember a thread a while back about a URM who got into Chicago despite having Bs and C in a core subject. You have roughly the same SAT but a way better GPA. Give them a shot.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1stTimeThruMom1stTimeThruMom 389 replies9 threads Member
    @graduating2020 Hope you don’t mind me weighing in here on a related topic — your senior year schedule.
    It looks like you are doubling or tripling your prior AP load with 6 APs plus an honors course planned. Is that the case?

If so, six APs is a huge leap and will make for a very demanding senior year. I am surprised your guidance counselor approved the schedule. My DS20 wanted to make a similar leap last year, but the Dean of Academics would not allow it.

Please remember that senior year is tough. In addition to all of your coursework, you will be writing many different essays, particularly for scholarship or honors programs, and you will need to stay on top of the FAFSA and potentially the CSS if you attend one of the many private schools requiring the CSS.

Finally, colleges want to see continued improvement senior year. The most important thing is that you maintain that excellent 4.6 GPA. Do you think you could do that with fewer APs?

Remember, you are allowed to make time for fun as well senior year!

Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 2019
    @1stTimeThruMom I’ve been considering taking less AP’s, but I’m not sure which to exempt.. they all seem equally important, either towards my intended major or general education. Most of my peers are also upping the rigor of their schedules, so I don’t want to be left out in the dust.
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 2019
    @Hamurtle @shuffle1 I signed up for a prep camp + will be studying a lot during the summer to prepare for the August SAT. If I don’t improve, I’ll definitely consider applying to test op schools
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
    @TheSATTeacher Thank you for the advice. If the only con of my application is the SAT score, then I’ll focus on improving that.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheSATTeacherTheSATTeacher 236 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @graduating2020

I haven't seen your application, so I can't assess its strengths and weaknesses fully. That being said, from what I can see, your SAT score is your most outstanding weakness for the schools you are looking at. Weak SAT scores are a very particular sort of weakness. A student may get in with a weaker essay, or weaker ECs, but a student rarely gets in with weaker SAT scores (relative to the school to which she is applying). There may be some exceptions, e.g. if a student is a recruited athlete.

Also, have you looked at the ACT? It is worth looking at it. In my experience, most students do pretty similarly on the SAT and ACT, but some will do much better on one than the other. The ACT favors studiousness a bit more than the SAT and thus is often a better fit for students with good grades who aren't doing so well on the SAT.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity