right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Tepper vs. BU($$$) vs. BC($$) for an MBA?

2»

Replies to: Tepper vs. BU($$$) vs. BC($$) for an MBA?

• cbreezecbreeze 4680 replies88 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    The main differences, other than COA, is the percentage of students which BC places in financial services which is about 25% as opposed to BU where the number is only 8%. In addition to what I've heard about the BC alumni network that it's a lot stronger than BU's and alumni offer a lot more help in finding jobs and internships.

Seems like a very good reason to choose BC.
    $26K may seem like a lot of debt but if you can get your desired career on track sooner, it's worth it. This is a small amount if you take a long view on your future career.
    · Reply · Share
  • Collegesurfer093Collegesurfer093 46 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    edited May 18
    @Mwfan1921 Yeah I'm starting to think that Tepper isn't the right way to go here.

So if you were in my shoes, which school would you honestly go with?
    I know nobody can make this decision for me, but it's worth knowing what others would do if they were in my situation.
    edited May 18
    · Reply · Share
  • Collegesurfer093Collegesurfer093 46 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    @cbreeze You really the oppurtunities that BC can offer are worth an extra $26K?
    · Reply · Share
  • cmubencmuben 37 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    My recommendation is to check out the career placement center and get a list of corporate recruiters coming to campus recruit at these 3 schools. Tepper is going to stand out so you do not have to write hundreds of emails personally to all these companies.

Next thing is to look at the programs. Tepper has many non-traditional yet innovative courses and some you cross register in the school of computer sciences and other departments. Although corp finance is not the strongest area at the Tepper program, the Finance department at Tepper is its best kept secret. Go check out its faculty researches and who is who in the Finance world. The Finance alum network is a solid and close one.

Last, but not the least. The MS Computation Finance program is one of the best if not the BEST in the world. Although it deals with S&T instead of Corp Finance, with your engineering background, this is a ticket you may hook up to the Finance world that is going to be uniquely CMU Tepper which neither BC nor BU comes close.... :) Have I tickled your fantacy....?
    · Reply · Share
    @cmuben
    Tepper does stamd out but I'm not sure it's worth it since I want to work in Boston in a non IB, MBB or FAANG job.
    True about the MS in Finance but I'm more interested in an MBA Program.
    · Reply · Share
  • cmubencmuben 37 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    visit the campus if you can. You are going for a business degree so the return on investment should not be too short sighted or short term...... Boston area has many mutual fund companies and they reach out for talents beyond Boston area schools. dont get me wrong, BU is at the heart of where the actions are, but it is more suited for a part-time program for the commuters.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 1888 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,913 Senior Member
    Tepper does stand out but I'm not sure it's worth it since I want to work in Boston in a non IB, MBB or FAANG job.

That's new news OP (!) - If you want to stay in Boston, then go to school there---this should allow you to let go of Tepper once and for all.

Do you have a favorite between BU and BC? Even though you will have greater debt at BC, it's not that significant (IMO, but of course it's your money)

Have you picked a name out of a hat? What reactions did you have when doing that?

Here are some pros/cons to get you started--

BC-pros--better campus, maybe cheaper to live close by, more active/tighter alum group (? not sure on this if you stay in Boston), more corp finance placement

Cons-$26K more debt, class too small(?)

BU pros-larger class (could be a con depending on what you think), more alums, lower tuition costs (but maybe more $ to live nearby), if interested in corp finance you may stand out more simply because fewer of your classmates target that

Cons- fewer corp finance companies recruit there (is that true, or is it just fewer students go that route?), more expensive to live nearby--may have longer commute

Lastly there is benefit of going to school in Boston vs Pittsburgh for a corp finance student---more big business activity, more MBA programs running great events/speakers (you can go to those at Sloan, HBS, etc), more alums to network with in person.

Just some more food for thought. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7388 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,464 Senior Member
    If undecided as to specialty field / career objective, then lowest COA should be given strong consideration as all 3 are solid MBA programs.
    · Reply · Share
    @cmuben Thank you for the insights. I wish I could visit campus, but sadly I have a really tight schedule and can't take any days off.

· Reply · Share
    @Mwfan1921 I do want to work in Boston for the time being, but I may want to move to a different city in the future. Assuming I want to work outside Boston in the future, will a BC MBA hold weight outside the Boston area?

Between BU and BC, it's BC. I spoke to another BU student about the finance concentration, and sadly she was the only person from BU to tell me that it would be very difficult to break into finance from BU, for many reasons which she stated. So I decided to eliminate BU once and for all.

Thank you very much for all the help. I deeply appreciate it!

· Reply · Share
    @Publisher Thank you!
    · Reply · Share