right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

HELP! DD just charged with academic misconduct

Replies to: HELP! DD just charged with academic misconduct

• lucy_van_peltlucy_van_pelt 232 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    @karen0 hugs to you. Don't let this be a seminal moment in her life. I would be concerned that she is doing too much this summer.... all those things, plus you are taking time away for college visits? I would be seriously concerned about burnout. Re-write the paper - don’t start from scratch again - and the idea of a tutor to help her clean up mistakes is a good suggestion.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7391 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,467 Senior Member
    @lucy_van_pelt : Is outside help such as a tutor permitted on this assignment ? Or could receiving outside help from a tutor result in another violation ?
    · Reply · Share
  • lucy_van_peltlucy_van_pelt 232 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    @publisher earlier, @karen0 mentioned that most of her D’s peers used an outside tutor writing this paper. Her D did not. In retrospect, a bummer. (1) might have caught errors. (2) would have acted as an advocate if needed.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7391 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,467 Senior Member
    edited June 13
    Thank you for responding. Seems as though use of a tutor is a much more serious violation than citing secondary, instead of primary, sources.

OP: This school environment seems a bit unhealthy. I really hope that your daughter is not scarred emotionally by this experience. We are all human & all of us make mistakes. No need for such severe consequences for errors & omissions on a high school paper in my opinion. Should have been handled in a more constructive, rather than traumatic, manner.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22484 replies2197 discussionsVerified Member Posts: 24,681 Senior Member
    edited June 13
    @Publisher Not sure exactly how that works but in one of the posts the OP stated that many students in the class had tutors help them with their papers so I'm guessing it is acceptable as long as the original work is the students.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20455 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,664 Senior Member
    edited June 13
    @Publisher Read post #294. It's plagiarism.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 2709 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,745 Senior Member
    Well, if it had happened 14 months later when the student is enrolled in UVA, she would have been expelled. So it seems like the school sent a message about the behavior, and is mitigating the damages reasonably. She is not a victim here-she erred in judgment and conduct, paid the price, and of course will feel bad for a while afterwards. Anyone would. She will get ovee this and move on, and I think will experience no permanent adverse consequences.
    · Reply · Share
  • PetraMCPetraMC 702 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 707 Member
    That's the punishment for the second offense of plagiarism at my children's private schools. First offense is basically an F on the paper. But it doesn't really matter if it's in this school's handbook as a first penalty.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 13
    @roycroftmom : Certainly a reasonable perspective. But we really do not know what might have happened at another school as we do not know all of the facts.

A lot going on at this school.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20455 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,664 Senior Member
    "Without more information, lowering the grade for the paper by a letter or two may have been more appropriate"

That would be more appropriate for turning in a paper late, not for what happened here.

A second offense at my kids' high school would have been expulsion.

"A lot going on at this school."

What does that even mean?? Above you say "we do not know all the facts" so how do you know what is going on?
    · Reply · Share
    My main concern is that students were permitted to use tutors. What if those students miscited a source or missed a citation and their tutor caught the error or omission & had the student correct it ? Seems unfair for other students to be "pre-graded" by their tutors.

Regardless, I am not interested in debating this. I have made my points & shared my concerns. They remain & none will be resolved here without knowing more than we have access to.
    · Reply · Share
  • PetraMCPetraMC 702 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 707 Member
    Expulsion would be on the table for a second offense at my kids' schools, too. The student would be hauled in front of the disciplinary board and a determination would be made. Kids have been expelled for cheating and plagiarism. I just meant that, at a minimum, the second offense goes on the record to colleges but not always the first. Maybe if it's egregious, IDK.

· Reply · Share
  • melvin123melvin123 1526 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,544 Senior Member
    And please forgive me for my "crawling under a rock" comment. Only OP and her D know the culture at that school and how being open like this would be perceived. Obviously D should do what would work best for her in her environment.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 13
    " I think the secrecy part helps feed into the concept that this was wrong and shameful."

As I mentioned before, some private schools do share the info, to be a deterrent for others but also because a community cannot support its members if they don't know what is going on. Even when students break school rules, faculty are there to support them and help them learn from their mistake, can watch for behavior that might be concerning after a disciplinary action. Caring educators aren't going to write off a student for one mistake. Instead, I'm sure they'll bend over backwards to help.

I'm sure her friends might notice something is amiss anyway.

ETA: I do think the fairly common practice of families using tutors in this milieu to attempt to gain an edge for their children is ridiculous. Are they going to take the tutors to college?
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
  • svlab112svlab112 533 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 539 Member
    I recommend finding a safety that has an early, rolling admissions. My S had an acceptance as early as September. Even though it wasn’t his first choice, it relieved some of the stress knowing he had a college option regardless of other outcomes.

He had a grade drop/downward trend junior year which we thought would impact acceptances.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity