right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

HELP! DD just charged with academic misconduct

Replies to: HELP! DD just charged with academic misconduct

• karen0karen0 142 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    @sattut @roycroftmom DD wants an less intense environment. Trust me I'm not obsesses with one specific school. The schools she felt were a great fit during visits are Vanderbilt, Emory, Tulane and Wake Forrest. She just needs one spot not multiple acceptances for the ego. She is now adding UT Austin and UCLA and Berkley. She has very high test scores, uneven grades at her school, solidly in the middle of her class, very strong, authentic ECs, leadership positions.

UVA and UMich were never going to be a real possibility even before this infraction because she is not as strong as the students in her class who apply. When you can only apply to one EA, students put a great deal of thought behind it.
    · Reply · Share
  • cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 246 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 248 Junior Member
    @roycroftmom serious question: are there colleges where one doesn't have to work hard? I was under the impression that students had to work hard wherever they went, whether it was a school that admits 10% of applicants or 30% (or higher).

· Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 2711 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    Tulane sounds very possible if you show them all the demonstrated interest they want. It seems to get a variety of students with a lot of NYC kids, and she would be very well prepared academically for it.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 2711 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    Yes, I think the amount of work varies enormously at different colleges.it is not unusual for kids at very tough prep schools like this to find college is much less work and much easier than high school, if they attend a slightly less competitive college ( but not if they attend, say MIT).one of my kids struggled to be in the middle of an elite prep school, then found she was vastly better prepared than her college classmates at a less competitive school and sailed to the top of her class with what she viewed as little effort, at least compared to the effort she put into high school. I expect this student would find the same at many colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32762 replies350 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,112 Senior Member
    We dont know this gal's major, how consistently strong she is in that, how desirable she is to various colleges based on her full picture. Before predicting doom, before even choosing her 2 targets, this self eval should happen, for her possible targets.

No one here can predict the right colleges and there's 4+ months before ED deadlines.

Some should give OP a break. The grades matter, what ECs, how she presents herself in her app. I'm going to assume the school has prepared her to evaluate and that the GC will guide. At this point, a bunch of web strangers can't do this assessing.
    · Reply · Share
  • sattutsattut 977 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,053 Senior Member
    It is silly to discuss which schools will take her after this. OP should get an educational lawyer now and a private college counselor later.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4Gulls4Gulls 517 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 517 Member
    edited June 14
    We loved Tulane. S almost went there. It looks like they offer ED, ED2 and EA. Looking at the website, it seems you can switch EA to ED2 if Tulane becomes her top choice after ED1 results come in.
    edited June 14
    · Reply · Share
  • sattutsattut 977 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,053 Senior Member
    I would get the advice of an educational lawyer it is clear that your daughter was libeled. You probably don't want to have a lawyer appriach the school or take other action.

I would also get a good college counselor you don't want to use the school's counselors at this point a good counselor should know a lot more about these issues and people on this forum

· Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 37959 replies6570 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 44,529 Super Moderator
    it is clear that your daughter was libeled.
    It is clear, in the OP's opinion, that her daughter was libeled. Remember we are only seeing one side of the story.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22504 replies2200 discussionsVerified Member Posts: 24,704 Senior Member
    @sattut I know it is a long thread but the idea of a lawyer has been discussed already and at this point we should respect the OP's decision. And in terms of a counselor, I expect that the OP should get excellent help from the private school's counseling office.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nocreativity1Nocreativity1 1051 replies49 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,100 Senior Member
    edited June 14
    @sattut "I would get the advice of an educational lawyer it is clear that your daughter was libeled."

"Libel-a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation."

No falsehood or anything in written form was spread so consequently daughter was not libeled. Both legal criteria did not take place. Perhaps her privacy was breached but very hard to prove and quantify.

The OP has been very patient in explaining her position and gracious in expressing absolutely no desire to engage the school in litigation. Your advice should incorporate the realities of the situation, be based on legal fact pattern and the wishes of the OP.

Please stop preaching "lawyer up"from your lofty high horse. That course of action was dismissed 10 pages previously.
    edited June 14
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32762 replies350 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,112 Senior Member
    Libel? "a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation."
    The school can easily show otherwise.
    · Reply · Share
  • karen0karen0 142 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    @lookingforward DD has done course work at Columbia University which she found far easier than her school, not a pre-college program but an actual class. Most alumni from her school say the first two years at HYP is repeat content from high school. DD is a very hard worker, she will have a LOR from our state senator as she was his page last summer in DC and has stayed in touch with his office.
    · Reply · Share
    I have other children who are students at this school, a lawyer is not the right approach for our family -- for various reasons. I really appreciate everyone's advice but we are just not people who lawyer up. Yes, I'm doing the best I can to model resiliency here and DD is being resourceful about looking into broader college options. She has too much on her plate but does not want to quit summer babysitting job because she made a commitment, plus she has a full time internship. She is doing pretty well considering there are faculty gossiping about her and kids in her grade posting memes about the history paper incident. I wish she would just tell her friends she is the one with the charge and own it.
    · Reply · Share
    I agree this is over the top about what school you get into or whatever.Part of the lesson is not to take these things so seriously.

The 30 page paper with primary sources seems like a practice PhD dissertation. I understand that is how the school prepares students, although it is a little over the top.

Unless she copied or paraphrased a large part of the essay from a source without attribution, the charges could be viewed as libel. I understand perfectly though in the context of that school and so on that the parents don't want to make a big issue of it. Unless it was blatant cheating, the proper response of the teacher would be to give a lower grade and discuss the issue with the student, not file some sort of charges.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity