right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

U.S. College Grads Are In For An Unpleasant Surprise

Dave_BerryDave_Berry 492 replies2499 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
"...'“Bushy-tailed and bright-eyed, the average Generation Z undergraduate expects to make $57,964 one year out of college, while the national median salary is $47,000 for recent grads with bachelor degrees who have between zero and five years of on-the-job experience,' Clever writes, concluding that many students have 'seriously unrealistic' expectations for their early career salaries." ...

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-20/us-college-grads-are-unpleasant-surprise
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: U.S. College Grads Are In For An Unpleasant Surprise

• cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28777 replies56 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Depends entirely on the major.
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12634 replies161 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    I don't think this is particularly new, in that I think college students have always overestimated how much money they'll make coming out of college. I've done college advising for a while and I've often heard students say they'll borrow $$$ and it's OK because they can just pay it back with their post-college earnings, without any real thought as to how much it costs to live.

A very interesting phenomenon in that chart is how more highly paid majors tended to overestimate how much they were going to make after college MORE. However, I wonder if they compared the students' estimates to the average major *for that field*, not just overall. While I don't think salary is entirely dependent on major, it is related pretty closely, so it could be that those physical science majors are correct. (Business majors, however, tend to overestimate both their earnings and their competitiveness in the market. Really, it depends on the kind of business - finance and accounting are harder to find, but marketing and management majors are plentiful and don't necessarily start very much higher than other social science majors.)
    · Reply · Share