right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What are my chances for achieving 75-100% scholarship in NUS?

Anuj2112Anuj2112 3 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
I am from India and will be applying to NUS as an international student.
My stats:
10th cbse: 96% cgpa:10
Obtained full marks in maths.
12th hsc: 81.5%
Achieved scholarship on behalf of the state government for being in 99 percentile in 12th.
JEE Mains: Rank 4420; 99.63 percentile
JEE Advanced: Rank 1493
Jee advanced is the next exam after jee mains and is much harder than the previous one.
Expected SAT score: 1500-1550.
Expected SAT subject scores: Math 2:800
Physics:800
Chem:800

EC: Achieved multiple certificates(6-7) for competing in SOF competitive exams from 8th to 10th.
Took part in a mathematics workshop. Qualified for INMO by clearing pre-RMO and RMO( RMO is equivalent AMC 12 and pre-RMO is equivalent to AMC 10 in the US).
Scored 366/450 in BITSAT( an engineering entrance exam for BITs)
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are my chances for achieving 75-100% scholarship in NUS?

• BelknapPointBelknapPoint 4380 replies16 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I Googled NUS and the most logical result based on what you are posting is National University of Singapore. Is that the school you are asking about?
    · Reply · Share
  • Anuj2112Anuj2112 3 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
    Yeah
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 20
    I am from India and will be seeking admission into an engineering program at one of the top 100 US Universities as an international student.

My stats:
    10th cbse: 96% cgpa:10
    Obtained full marks in maths.
    12th hsc: 82%
    Achieved scholarship on behalf of the state government for being in 99 percentile in 12th.
    JEE Mains: Rank 4420; 99.63 percentile
    JEE Advanced: Rank 1493
    Jee advanced is the next exam after jee mains and is much harder than the previous one.
    Expected SAT score: 1500-1600.
    Expected SAT subject scores: Math 2:800
    Physics:800
    Chem:800

EC:
    1. Achieved multiple certificates(6-7) for competing in SOF competitive exams from 8th to 10th.
    2. Took part in a mathematics workshop.
    3. Qualified for INMO by clearing pre-RMO and RMO( RMO is equivalent AMC 12 and pre-RMO is equivalent to AMC 10 in the US).
    4. Scored 366/450 in BITSAT( an engineering entrance exam for BITs)
    5. Currently working with a local NGO in education for underprivileged as a focus.
    edited June 20
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 9808 replies62 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    No, your chances of getting a full ride at a university in the US are mostly non-existent.
    You don't have test scores yet.
    You want a prestigious university in a very impacted major.
    You are from a country where the pool of applicants is numerous and competitive.
    There isn't enough money for domestic students, let alone, international university students.
    After you receive your test scores, you can ask those universities in the south and midwest about your stats. The top schools will be out of reach, just because of the sheer numbers of international students applying.
    · Reply · Share
    I am not applying currently, instead I'm looking at a fall-2020 admission. By the time of application deadlines, I will have my SAT scores, letters of recommendation ready (Since I'm appearing for SAT this October). Do you think after I receive my SAT score, would I then be eligible for at least 50% tuition aid or scholarship?
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 9808 replies62 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I don't think you understand that YOU don't get to pick and choose what you need. The colleges tell you how much they can give. As an international, you have to worry about getting into a college first. That, in itself, is very difficult-especially since you are from a country that has thousands of competitive applicants. Plus, you want to get into an impacted major.
    There are only a handful of seats available at the top tier colleges for international students. That means about 1-5 students from all countries combined. If you are asking for funding, then it compounds the matter and you have less chances.
    · Reply · Share
  • NCKrisNCKris 190 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Anuj2112 International admissions to US universities is quite difficult, especially to prestigious schools and Engineering/CS and require scholarships.
    Most of the international students studying in the US, pay Full tuition + boarding + travel expenses.
    MIT, Caltech, Princeton etc. offer need based financial aid i.e. it depends on your family income and assets and not based on merit (as all admitted students are exceptional students)
    You appear to be a strong student. Did you get accepted into IIT ? If so, that is your best option and can later apply for Master's degree in the US. You can still apply to US universities, and if you get admitted to MIT or Ivies, they give need based aid to internationals, if your family qualifies.
    · Reply · Share
  • CU123CU123 3441 replies62 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Your chances of getting a 75-100% tuition scholarship are almost zero. The top 100 universities offer very little in the way of engineering scholarships to international students, and only the very top privates meet full need, which I have no idea if you would even qualify for need aid. If you dropped down into the top 200-300 range your chances are much better as they are looking to attract quality applicants to there university.
    · Reply · Share
    See, the reason I'm even having as much hope as I do is because of my elder brother, who got admitted into Iowa state university with 40% on tuition merit scholarship (for spring-2016) (which was the max that the university offered at the time). His stats/resume:

SAT score: 1900/2400 (2015)
    SAT subject test: Math 2: 710/800, Physics: 790/800
    Diploma (high school equivalent) percentage: 75%
    10th CBSE: 84%
    ECs:
    1. Worked on final year robotics project as part of course fulfillment for technical diploma
    2. Social work for 3-months under an NGO
    3. couple of competitive certificates nothing too significant.

I'm bringing up my brother's resume since ISU is still ranked 43 when it comes to undergraduate engineering programs. Also, I'm not really aiming all that high when it comes to rankings. Would you consider University of South Florida (undergraduate engineering ranking ~ 100), Tampa a safe bet (since it only has 17k tuition and offers up to 13.5k in merit scholarships)?
    · Reply · Share
  • blackstar2001blackstar2001 4 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    you will only get a scholarship if you applied for any. Otherwise there are need based financial aid available that you get automatically
    · Reply · Share
  • blackstar2001blackstar2001 4 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    I have received an offer to study at NUS intake 2019 for FASS. Anybody else from India or elsewhere? Hoping to connect. Feel free to contact me on whatsapp 7760460924
    · Reply · Share