right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

White man calls police on black man waiting for a friend in apartment building

Replies to: White man calls police on black man waiting for a friend in apartment building

• OHMomof2OHMomof2 12452 replies231 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,683 Senior Member
    edited July 10
    @roycroftmom the resident who called the police was also a man. The one who the other guy tailgated, if you will.

That's why I'm confused by your post about understanding women being vulnerable. I don't think any women were present for this.
    edited July 10
    · Reply · Share
  • HeartofDixieHeartofDixie 185 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    I think the tailgater was in the wrong and the guy that called was well within his rights. The only thing I don't understand is why he didn't put distance between himself and the other guy before calling. If I had the experience of my father being killed by a trespasser I would use a lot more caution, not to mention that he had his son with him, no way would I endanger my child.
    · Reply · Share
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 999 replies72 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,071 Senior Member
    Now there is a campaign to have Cukor fired from his position at YouTube.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2838 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,849 Senior Member
    Female here. I would hope if I lived in a secure building, it would be...secure.

It’s good people are aware of tailgating & willing to call someone out re: whether that person belongs in the building.

What if the tailgater was my violent ex-BF or ex-spouse or stalker or simply a crime opportunist?

Gavin deBecker has a very disturbing account of a crime against a woman where the man slipped in the secure door to the building. :-(
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL 1571 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,601 Senior Member
    And yet a woman in St. Louis lost her job last year for challenging a tailgater. Be very careful, unless someone tries to shame you with an cell phone video.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76466 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,131 Senior Member
    As a practical matter, if there are commonly ignored rules that you may encounter, always plan for them to be enforced, even if 99% of the time they are not. You may just run into the 1% who are rules sticklers or paranoid enough to enforce the rule.

And if you appear to be of a profile associated with what the rule is meant to stop, expect the to encounter more rule enforcement than most people will, because (in addition to rules sticklers and paranoids who will enforce the rule on everyone) there will also be those who will selectively enforce the rule for prejudicial reasons.
    · Reply · Share
  • mycupofteamycupoftea 476 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 490 Member
    What if someone decided to tailgate into an apartment? Would the owner also be blamed for calling police? What is the difference between entering a private residential building and a private apartment? How about a townhouse with 2 or 3 units and a shared hallway behind a locked front door (a very common configuration in many urban areas)?
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL 1571 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,601 Senior Member
    Just understand that you will be accused of being racist if you stop anyone at all ever.
    Predators know that, and count on being able to guilt you into making an exception for them so you don't seem racist. Also perfectly harmless but thin-skinned people will get actually offended and try to shame you. You can't win them all, so you choose your battles.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6146 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,181 Senior Member
    I have to say that if someone looks like they are trying to follow me into a building, I will walk by and go past. I do that all the time in my parents building because I know they have had issues with robberies. I'd rather do that than have a confrontation.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76466 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,131 Senior Member
    MomofJandL wrote:
    Just understand that you will be accused of being racist if you stop anyone at all ever.
    Predators know that, and count on being able to guilt you into making an exception for them so you don't seem racist.

I would still expect a white predator to be more successful at this type of thing than a black predator in most situations, due to the white predator being less likely to be viewed as suspicious by those observers who are racist against black people (who are more common than those who are racist against white people).
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 11
    I don't wish success for any predator, and would object to tailgating by any one of any color or pronoun choice. Some of those objections will lead to accusations of bigotry, which I object to but can tolerate. (The accusations, that is.)
    edited July 11
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 4953 replies50 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,003 Senior Member
    Having heard the backstory now, I'm changing my initial response to the original video (except that I still feel sorry for the kid). Sort of like when those Covington kids went viral and it turned out that the video had been taken out of context.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33925 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,312 Senior Member
    edited July 11
    I admit I'm a frequent tailgater in secured buildings. I guess I ought to stop and go by the rules but it's SO much easier to just follow another person in. I agree that it's a challenge to stop anyone from tailgating you at times.
    edited July 11
    · Reply · Share