right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Does my application stand a change for Oxford undergrad in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics?

hussarfhussarf 1 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
Hi All,
I just wanting to ask if my application stands a chance for Oxfords undergrad PPE program.
So throughout my high school I have only had a 3.0 GPA, but I am taking my first year of University and currently have a 4.0 there. The reason why I have a 4.0, for my university courses, is because I took classes that I liked whereas in my high school I was required to take some classes in order to be eligible to obtain a high school diploma.
I recently took 2 AP's and got a 3 in language and composition and a 4 in microeconomics. But for my AP Language and composition class I had a overall 95 % in the class. I have a really strong teacher recommendation for AP microeconomics since I used to get F's in the class but worked really hard and spent countless hours in bringing that F to an A.
I also took a mock TSA exam and scored in the 60% and when I checked online most students who apply to Oxford need to score above the 70% so it seems like I am really close to that target.
So what I want to ask is do I stand a chance, with my current stats, into getting admissions into Oxford or any other top university? Thanks
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Does my application stand a change for Oxford undergrad in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics?

• HamurtleHamurtle 2542 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The AP scores are not going to help for Oxford. You will need all 5s, I believe.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6723 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The 3 in Lang & 4 in Micro not only won't help - they will hurt. Your classroom A won't matter - only standardized test scores are considered. Also, why is a college freshman taking an AP course?

And, it's a big jump than you might think to get from 60 to 70% on the TSA.

But the bigger question is: why PPE at Oxford? What classes are you taking that you are loving? Why do you think that it is a good program for you?
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41887 replies451 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Zero. Having 3s/4s is a big no-no.
    You could try and do PPE at other universities.
    · Reply · Share
  • hussarfhussarf 1 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    edited July 11
    @collegemom3717
    Thank you for your advice. I'm currently in high school and started to take some online college credit courses as a revision for my AP exams, once I started taking some of the courses I really liked how the course material was taught so I then decided to go for the whole first year degree. I chose PPE at oxford since it has a mix of the 3 subjects that I love, especially economics which is a subject I can spend many hours learning and can never get bored or tiered of it.
    Anyways thank you for responding and I really appreciate your advice and for you taking the time to respond to my question!
    edited July 11
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41887 replies451 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Other universities offer PPE without the AP5 requirements. Go to the UCAS website and look it up there.
    · Reply · Share