right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Schools with "Applied Math in Biology" majors??

brobdingnagian17brobdingnagian17 55 replies13 postsRegistered User Junior Member
I'm having trouble finding enough schools with a sort of "biomathematics" major. An example of an ideal major would be Brown's "Applied Mathematics-Biology" major because it features a lot of math, but at the same time, gives me the opportunity to knock out some pre-med courses with courses in the bio, orgo, and biochem. It also exposes me to directed-research.

I'm looking for a mix of schools in selectivity with good premed opportunities. Ideally, they'd be on the eastern half of the U.S and have great financial aid available (I live in OH and am in the 95-100k bracket).
14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Schools with "Applied Math in Biology" majors??

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77187 replies672 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    You can major in math but use out-of-major elective space to take pre-med courses and other biology courses.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1115 replies1 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Are you looking for computational biology majors? Brown, CMU, Case, Virginia Tech, MIT, Rutgers.
    · Reply · Share
    The Ohio State University has a "math biology track" in its math major:
    https://math.osu.edu/undergrad/current-majors/requirements/biology
    It does not automatically include all pre-med requirements (e.g. organic chemistry, physics), but those can be added in elective space. Since you will have completed most frosh/soph level math courses before high school graduation (based on your other thread), you should have plenty of elective space in your four year schedule.
    · Reply · Share
  • brobdingnagian17brobdingnagian17 55 replies13 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited July 12
    @ucbalumnus Compared to pure math, I feel that applied math is more practical and generally has a better job outlook in terms of a "Plan B." Plus, a pure math major would recognize more theory rather than new data-driven paradigm in the biological sciences. I feel that it is ultimately more efficient too in terms of having more elective space.
    edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
    Note that some colleges may just have a "math major", but within it have enough range of options to choose a pure or applied emphasis (and various subareas within pure or applied math), whether they are formalized as options or tracks (as at The Ohio State University) or not.
    · Reply · Share
  • brobdingnagian17brobdingnagian17 55 replies13 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @NJWrestlingmom Though it sounds similar, computational biology is not the same thing. Brown even has two distinct majors being "Applied Mathematics-Biology" and "Computational Biology." The latter has far less math and is more computer science-oriented.
    · Reply · Share
  • circuitridercircuitrider 3292 replies166 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    This might be in the ballpark:
    http://igs.wesleyan.edu/
    · Reply · Share
  • ChillDadChillDad 215 replies20 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    WPI offers a program in bioinformatics and computational biology "While many schools offer BCB as a concentration within a traditional Biology program, WPI’s program comprises three academic departments: Biology, Computer Science, and Mathematics." Its project based curriculum, undergrad research opportunities, and proximity to UMASS Medical School make it a good fit for your goals. https://www.wpi.edu/academics/departments/bioinformatics-computational-biology
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12633 replies232 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Biostatistics (thinking that is similar) is a very common grad major but less common undergrad. But there's no reason you can't do statistics and bio double, or minor, or just take a lot of both courses. And take biostatistics if available too.
    · Reply · Share
  • lvvcsflvvcsf 2305 replies57 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 16
    Perhaps this could be a safer school. OU has very good pre health programs and their own D.O. program. They have a biology track. It's in Ohio so it's worth checking out.
    https://www.ohio.edu/cas/math/undergrad/appliedmath/index.cfm
    It also has a very quintessential college feel.
    edited July 16
    · Reply · Share
  • AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 1250 replies44 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 16
    My D is on this path at an LAC -- she's majoring in bio and will minor in applied math. Currently doing a biomath REU. There are two students from OSU's biomath program mentioned above in her small cohort.

I think most schools have the bio and math courses to make this work -- don't need a special major. Her bio profs are very positive about math modeling, biostats, and computational science as good skills/tracks within bio.

Good luck!
    edited July 16
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3692 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    UMich has a relatively new major called Mathematical Biology under Mathematical Sciences:

https://lsa.umich.edu/math/undergraduates/major-and-minor-programs/mathematical-sciences.html

As does Harvey Mudd:

https://www.hmc.edu/mathematics/program/majors/mathematical-computational-biology-major/

Not sure about financial aid for either though.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12633 replies232 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 17
    Just a fine point - OU is in Athens, Ohio, OSU is in Columbus, Ohio. Not clear if they both have it?
    edited July 17
    · Reply · Share
  • AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 1250 replies44 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My D is familiar with the students in the Ohio State program.
    · Reply · Share