right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Missing hikers in the news.

sevmomsevmom 8396 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
Seems like more these days or just more media attention?
50 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Missing hikers in the news.

• Midwest67Midwest67 3028 replies13 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Just a guess, but I suspect the media outlets have discovered what kinds of stories get clicks & shares and drive traffic.

· Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3018 replies45 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    After having a daughter hike to the Half Dome in Yosemite National Park over the weekend, some of these stories are really concerning to me. My husband and I are not risk takers, but ended up raising two daughters who are. It’s very scary when your child is hiking a 17 mile round trip hike, with no cell service, and the web plastered with information about how dangerous the hike is. 😜

One story I heard about recently was about a wife and her dog disappearing while the husband turned around his vehicle. I’m afraid we’re going to find out the husband had something to do with it. I hope they find her.
    · Reply · Share
  • sevmomsevmom 8396 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @FlyMeToTheMoon ,That last one about the woman and dog is the one that prompted me to post (after she was found). Third one lately I recall with someone being found after missing for days. I do find myself feeling more nervous when my kids tell me they are going hiking .
    · Reply · Share
    @FlyMeToTheMoon

My click bait newsfeed told me this morning that she & her dog were found & are doing well.

Initial report is she took off when a man with a knife approached her & threatened her with rape. The report I read said she was taking a bathroom break while her husband moved the car from their remote camp site.

When she fled from the man, she was wary of getting on any of the main roads for fear of running into him again, yet wasn’t sure how to get found (by S&R).

If you are concerned about your kid hikers, consider buying them a Spot and subscription service — something most young people could not afford or would not prioritize.

If they run into trouble on the trail, they can send a signal. You can get them at REI. You will worry less! Maybe?

And....bear spray. Not only good for bears, but good for loose dogs when one is walking their own dog, & good against bad humans too.
    · Reply · Share
  • washugradwashugrad 1135 replies13 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I just watched the interview with that woman (who was lost with her dog) on NBC's morning show. She's in fine shape now but how scary... she went off to pee in the woods and a big guy came out with a knife and threatened to kill the dog and rape her so she ran and then couldn't figure out how to get back.
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6441 replies113 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 16
    I have a lot of questions about this story. The area is so remote but a man just happens to leap out at her with a knife. I'm sure the police are searching for his campsite, his car or other tire tracks, etc. Something seems off to me.
    I subscribe to Facebook groups of hikers in the Sierra. There are a dozen or more reports of missing hikers every hiking season up there. Sadly, most are falls off the cliffs or drownings. In the many years I have been following missing hiker reports I have seen no other cases of violent attacks by other campers or hikers.
    edited July 16
    · Reply · Share
    I just read an ABC News article and it mentions this knife wielding man but no mention of what authorities are doing with trying to find or identify him.
    · Reply · Share
  • scmom12scmom12 3112 replies21 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My D and BF hiked for 6 days last summer in Montana. No cell service. Used Inreach by Garmin. Could send 2 pre-written texts/emails a day (they picked "at camp" and "having fun"). Texts and emails sent to one contact (me) included GPS location. There was also emergency signal that could be used to located them. Grateful to get those texts every day and fun to see where they were on the trail (and they left an itinerary with goals with us). This was a trail you had to apply to be on so that also meant they had to go by ranger station before they began. Had bear spray - thankfully never needed it!
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22989 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I live in Colorado and we always have reports of missing hikers. Every weekend, all year long.
    · Reply · Share
    @TatinG

Agreed. Not sure her story passes the smell test.

Seems like the authorities who “have seen it all” usually get to the bottom of things.

· Reply · Share
  • milee30milee30 2100 replies13 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 16
    "I have a lot of questions about this story. The area is so remote but a man just happens to leap out at her with a knife. "

Definitely raises some questions. Like
    - she had a small dog on a leash. Unless that's a perfectly trained dog and it's used to running top speed glued to her side without tripping her or veering slightly and entangling the leash seems unlikely she'd be very effective at running away to escape.
    - S&R has been combing that area. She ran so far and hid so well she couldn't hear any of them calling/searching?

Just like the Jussie Smollet thing (he ran how far with a noose around his neck? He didn't even take the noose off once he was safe?), this one just sounds odd. Could be legit, but sounds off at first.
    edited July 16
    · Reply · Share
    Unfortunately, seems a little fishy to me as well. I hope I'm wrong,
    · Reply · Share
  • yucca10yucca10 1261 replies37 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    People get lost all the time. My coworker's father got lost while hiking alone in a remote location in Utah, he was found alive after a few days. Hiking in the wilderness is an inherently dangerous activity and nobody should go hiking, let alone hiking solo, without knowing the basic rules; unfortunately many people still do it.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34149 replies378 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    DH and his buds got lost on Mt Whitney (CA.) July, snow and blinding sun reflecting off it. Not long enought for S&R but it added a day.
    · Reply · Share
    I was with a hiking group in SE Wisconsin in April and a couple hours in, we got hit with a spring snowstorm.

We knew it might hit us, and everyone was prepared. What struck me about that particular day was how quickly the well-worn trail was covered in snow. We all knew the area, so it was no big deal, but it served as a good reminder to be prepared for getting lost.

It’s so easy to rely on following the trail one can see clearly with one’s eyes, until weather conditions (or darkness) prevent it.

REI & NOLS have a very nice selection of courses to prepare oneself for backcountry first aid & orienteering without electronics.

· Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 3018 replies45 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who is suspicious of the woman and dog who went missing. I don’t know if we will ever find out the truth, but I see it as a great premise for the plot of a thriller. 😄
    · Reply · Share
  • tx5athometx5athome 3880 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I too am suspicious of the woman and dog. But I also remember what co-worker once told me. She and her husband moved to a remote area and they ended up moving back. She said that sometimes people who live in remote areas are a little scary and running from things. So maybe there really was a scary person out there.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29422 replies58 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Suspicious story, yes, but I’m glad it’s that sort of suspicious instead of some of alternatives running through everyone’s minds when she was first reported missing
    · Reply · Share