right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Cell phone service in basement apartment

MommaJMommaJ 5576 replies189 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
My D never thought to test out her cell phone before signing her lease (note to all: don't do that!!), and her service is spotty at best. Verizon offers a "network extender" for $250 which she can't really afford. I see cheaper alternatives online, but it's hard to understand the various specs and what's needed. She has an iPhone 8 and 4G service, if that helps. Oh, and she tried the Verizon-suggested alternative of connecting through her wifi, but while her wifi works fine on her laptop, it doesn't seem to work so well on her phone. This is way too complicated for mere mortals! Anyone smart enough to suggest a cheaper solution?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Cell phone service in basement apartment

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 6996 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We had a microcell extender in our last house that worked great. I think we paid $79 for it on Amazon. I'm not tech savvy enough to tell you what specs would work for your D though.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3711 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 18
    T mobile gave us one for free . Have you asked for it for free as they are not providing service as per advertised? This is pretty much why t mobile sent us the thing. Actually I think they sent it just to get my kid off the phone LOL, after walking through every trouble shooting protocol we tried to get her phone service working. I suppose we lived a bit on the cusp of the area with spotty service. She should walk back to the store and complain and ask to cancel her service and pick a better provider. . If she isn't getting wifi established on her phone she should ask a tech savvy friend/you tube/reddit because that would be a user issue.
    edited July 18
    · Reply · Share
  • MommaJMommaJ 5576 replies189 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    She has Verizon, and they said they don't guarantee service indoors, period. Offered the extender for $250. Maybe I'll tell her to call to cancel in hopes the retention department offers the extender for free to keep her.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34201 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 18
    The folks I know who got extenders were also given them for free when they complained of poor reception in their homes. Each of the various carriers gave it for free. Have not heard of having to pay so much for an extender.
    Our kids had a tough time getting T-Mobile reception before it expanded its network so we switched to Verizon — much more expensive but better coverage where they were living.
    Now, we’ve switched back to T-Mobile and mostly it’s fine and much cheaper.
    edited July 18
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3711 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    they don't guarantee service indoors, period. <<<,

LOL, well have her ask about that on Verizon's public social media platforms. Look if t mobile covers her area.
    · Reply · Share