right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

oregon101oregon101 5491 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
We returned today from Glacier. H loved it. Everyone loves it.
I did not. We stayed mainly on the East side and visited Many Glaciers. The towering grey mountains of rock depressed me. I did love the West side valleys. Beautiful.
I am now looking at many conversations about how wonderful and how beautiful Glacier is to most everyone.
Ever had this happen to you?
285 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Have you ever traveled to a place loved by all but you just didn't love it?

• atomomatomom 4654 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    D just returned from study abroad in Spain. She disliked Barcelona, which most people seem to love.
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5491 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    Thanks for that reply--LOL--I did not love Barcelona either. Has your D ever been to East Glacier? LOL
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • cypresspatcypresspat 300 replies8 threadsRegistered User Member
    Rome
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20850 replies216 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Niagara Falls
    · Reply · Share
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard 2109 replies20 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm also not a big Barcelona fan. Don't particularly love San Francisco or Santa Fe either. And I abhor Las Vegas.
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5491 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wondering how you navigated the eventual conversations with others who were wowed when you were not thrilled.
    · Reply · Share
  • LeonHaggLeonHagg 4 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I like places where I can swim! No matter how wonderful the landscape and the view are, I always feel like missing the peak of the experience if I don't jump into the cool water. But when I see how people around me are delighted, I rather keep my mouth shut cause I don't want to be a killjoy... or I simply choose the places with the lake, the river or the pool to visit.
    · Reply · Share
  • CreeklandCreekland 5754 replies89 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Las Vegas and pretty much any big city like NYC, LA, etc.

We're among those who really like Glacier. Our fondness for travel includes seeing the natural world wherever we go - not the "human built" world. When we flew into New Orleans I sat next to a man asking what we were coming to see and mentioning pretty much everything in the city. When I told him we were coming to explore the bayous he laughed, then said, "Oh, you're serious? I never heard of anyone coming here for that before!" We had a blast and only spent a couple hours in the city looking around just to see what the fuss was all about - didn't appeal to us there at all.

I don't care to move to Louisiana or many of the places we visit, but I love seeing what nature looks like pretty much everywhere.
    · Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 760 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    Vegas, Disney, Yosemite, Hollywood.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3556 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Las Vegas and Los Angeles—didn’t care for either one.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33456 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Grand Canyon. Santa Fe was underwhelming. Boston.

I think you have to do Rome off season, to get it.
    · Reply · Share
  • cypresspatcypresspat 300 replies8 threadsRegistered User Member
    @lookingforward. We have done Rome in every season (we are dual Italian/US citizens). I will acknowledge that it is among the most beautiful cities on a summer’s night. Those folks know how to use outdoor lighting, fur sure. But other Italian cities hold much more charm for me.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33456 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 20
    @cypresspat I do agree it's different. I hated Rome the first time, in a hot August, crowded. But January visits changed that. Yes, it's too monumental, compared with other italian cities. But I'm into more street level travel, the people, the shops, interactions and fitting in. That's easier, off season.
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22895 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Miami/South Beach and New England (towns and beaches). I know many people think those New England towns are quaint, but they are just boring to me. If you have seen one store selling dish towels and soap dishes, you have seen them all. South Beach to me is just grimey - guys in muscle shirts and girls in low cut and high rise dresses. In the evenings very loud music at the hotels. I also have no desire to take a cruise to Alaska, which is loved by most people.

I generally nod my head when people talk about how much they enjoyed a trip. No need to disagree.
    · Reply · Share
  • techmom99techmom99 3438 replies6 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Once in Vegas was more than enough, although I admit that I did enjoy the Celine and Britney concerts D and I attended.
    Switzerland, because I went in winter and there was snow, which I despise. I live in NYC suburbs, so there's snow. I vowed never to spend money ever again to travel to a place where there is snow.
    Disney World, though Disney Land is ok.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22895 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I haven't been to Disney (World or Land) without my kids. I wouldn't go there without kids, but we did have some very nice memories there. I imagine I will be going with my grandkids someday.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8136 replies208 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    New York City
    · Reply · Share
  • deb922deb922 5607 replies188 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Mackinac Island

There are so many better places in Michigan to visit. The no cars thing is silly, too many t shirt and fudge shops. Expensive. And it smells.
    · Reply · Share