right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

My chances of getting into UPenn or UChicaho??

123movies123movies 0 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
Hi! I’m an international student, and I want to know my chances of getting into UPenn or UChicago.
I have a SAT score of 1450, SAT subject score 1350 (bio and math 2) will take another one. And a GPA of 3.8. I have a few ECs: I’ve volunteered outside of my home country, volunteered in my local dog shelters for 2 summers, started an initiative at school for recycling and using less waste, I’ve learned german alone and have gotten to the B2 level (level required to apply for most colleges in Germany). If you’ve gotten this far,thank you, I’d like to know my chances and what I can improve or add. (I want to be a business major and I can get a letter of recommendation from the principal of my school).
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: My chances of getting into UPenn or UChicaho??

• airway1airway1 710 replies3 threadsRegistered User Member
    Major? 3.8 did not get my son into upenn but then again it was engineering. He is also international
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33480 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    3.8 and the scores are low. Vol at a dog shelter is nice but not the sort of community service. Nor school recycling or self learning a language. You need to learn what Penn and Chicago look for. And imagine the competition.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 10254 replies155 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Does Chicago offer a major in business?
    · Reply · Share
  • tk21769tk21769 10643 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    merc81 wrote: »
    Does Chicago offer a major in business?
    Nope.
    https://college.uchicago.edu/academics/programs-study
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2445 replies32 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Chicago does have a business school, but graduate only.
    · Reply · Share
  • joecollege44joecollege44 88 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    To be honest, I don't think your chances at Penn or UC are great (noone's are). It's finw if you want to apply as a reach (and ED), but don't get your hopes up. Some similar schools you might want to consider:
    Brandeis
    CAse Western
    Rochester

all are excellent, but not as hard to get into.
    · Reply · Share
  • supernovacoachsupernovacoach 103 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Your SATs will be your downfall. Sorry to say
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2445 replies32 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Actually a 1450 is not a bad SAT score. Solid 90+ percentile. It’s not Ivy level but good enough for a lot of schools.

OP hasn’t mentioned finances though and that might be the big issue.
    · Reply · Share
  • FStratfordFStratford 482 replies11 threadsRegistered User Member
    UChicago has a Business Econ track... thats the closest it has to a business major
    · Reply · Share
  • 123movies123movies 0 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Business for UPenn and economics or psychology for UChicago.
    · Reply · Share
  • 123movies123movies 0 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    3.8 and the scores are low. Vol at a dog shelter is nice but not the sort of community service. Nor school recycling or self learning a language. You need to learn what Penn and Chicago look for. And imagine the competition.

Other people have told me volunteering at a dog shelter is good community service but volunteering outside of my country is much more impressive obviously. I thought starting the recycling at school thing would be a good Motive for leadership. I’m also going to take an internship and choir outside of school. I want to major in business for UPenn and for UChicago psychology or economics. What do you think
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33480 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 23
    What impresses top schools is working to benefit people (and the responsiilites you took on, having some impact, even small) and preferably not on the level of playing with younger kids or seniors, etc. Volunteering outside your own country is often less impressive than rolling up your sleeves in your own community. (There's a real distinction made between paying for quick trips vs committing locally. Depends.) More kids than you can imagine do recycling programs and it's usually very little true leadership (which isn't about titles.)

What business-type experiences, with others, adults? Any math or sci team? For schools like Penn or Chicago, the competition is fierce and kids will have leaned in.

In effect, you have 6 months to refine this.
    But Penn will be looking for SAT of 750/750 and up. Same for subject tests. It's that crazy. Which is why it's often good to expand your list to schools that aren't the "most competitive."
    edited July 23
    · Reply · Share