right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

one of the strangest things anyone ever said to me

Replies to: one of the strangest things anyone ever said to me

• VeryHappyVeryHappy 18413 replies324 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I was born with a minor cardiac defect, but when I was a child no one was doing open heart surgery. I finally had it corrected when I was 29. Two incredibly stupid comments:

From a young woman I worked with: "I can't believe you're having heart surgery! If I were in your shoes, I'd probably move to California to avoid it!" Wha . . . .?

And then I was at the dentist. Both the dentist and the technician had their fingers in my mouth. I had just mentioned the surgery to them and told them I needed the surgery because of a congenital defect. The technician asked, "Were you born with it?" Oy . . . .
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5410 replies79 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @MaineLonghorn I ran long distance track in high school with friends and keep in shape. And I was sooo slow. My coach walked over to my parents and they all agreed my form was fabulous but I looked like I was running in slow motion.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37830 replies2063 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    @college_query, that is one reason I am very happy to have moved from Texas to Maine!
    · Reply · Share
  • techmom99techmom99 3416 replies6 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Like @4kids4us , I have a larger family - 5 kids. The reality is that neither H's sister nor mine has children and we wanted our kids to have more than one sibling since we are each fairly estranged from our one and only sibling. Anyway, the order of my kids is boy, girl and then 3 more boys. Many times, when I tell people I have 4 sons and a D, they say something like, oh, you kept trying till you got the girl. When I say, no, she's actually the second oldest, I get comments like "Don't you think that's an awful lot of children?" or "Why would you keep on going after you already had a boy and a girl?"
    · Reply · Share
  • MaterSMaterS 1809 replies51 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @anomander There is/was a law in my state that everyone in the shopping party must have an ID if there is a liquor purchase. It is rarely enforced but if a store has recently been fined they can be very strict. I had a cashier at a grocery store refuse to ring the wine because I had one of my teenagers with me. Some stores put up signs to notify customers of their adherence to the law.
    · Reply · Share
  • techmom99techmom99 3416 replies6 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Once, I was talking to the mother of one of D's K classmates, who looked Italian and had an Italian surname. I had not yet met her H or her older sons. She commented that D didn't look like me and I said that she so resembles H that I actually have a framed side by side photo of each of them at about age 4 making the same face and using the same body language. I then said that her D resembled her and asked if that bothered her H. She asked if I had met her sons yet. When I said no, she said, well, they are Korean and adopted. So, is my D, but she's from Central America. I felt like an idiot and said so. She was very gracious and said, actually, my D does look like me, I just assumed you knew she was adopted because we are very open about it and even had a day when I came in and told the kids about it. My D hadn't mentioned it...

I mentioned above that I have 4 sons and a D. After the youngest son was born, D, who was 7, kept asking for a sister. One day, at oldest son's baseball game, a family came in with a newly adopted D from China. My D went over the the mom and said, "your baby is beautiful, if you get tired of her, can you please give her to my mommy. I want a sister." Fortunately, I knew the family and the mom just laughed and told D that when she got older, she could babysit but that they weren't going to give their D away. My D is in her late 20's now, not interested in having kids, but wants to adopt.
    · Reply · Share
  • smakl70smakl70 261 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Seems like a lot of us have similar stories.
    Both DH and I have dark hair. When DS was born and he finally got hair it was nearly white. We had a neighbor he frequently told DH he should get a paternity test. Funny thing is that son now looks more like DH than the oldest (acts like him too).
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33094 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Friend of Mexican descent had a similar, random genetic trait where her son was the only light skinned, white blond kid among the grandkids. But among her generation cousins, there's also been two blondes. This kid is now the picture of the Indonesian husband/father. Her son was the older child and she got lots of questions.
    · Reply · Share
  • washugradwashugrad 1084 replies13 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I had big babies and carried large. When I was full term with my 3rd I was running into Target with my older 2. Middle one was toilet training and had to go so we were in a bit of a rush. A lady coming out of Target took one look at me and her mouth kind of dropped open and she asked, "are you having TWINS?" and I said, "no, just one." She followed up with, "if you were having twins, then you'd have FOUR CHILDREN!" ... as if no one ever did such a thing. I just nodded and kept going.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3325 replies11 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 21
    I finished grad school with a decent job lined up, and a year later I ran into a classmate who was a year behind and looking for work. He told me, “You know, no one expected much from you (cheddarcheese), but the expectations are very high for me. I can’t just accept any job like you did.” I was actually a pretty good student so I still wonder what was going on there. Years later I can see on LinkedIn that he had a series of ok jobs then left the profession.
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL 1590 replies30 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    When I did something that reminded my paternal grandmother of my father she would say "You came by that honestly". It took me years to realize what she was saying and how creepy it sounds.
    · Reply · Share
  • deb922deb922 5584 replies187 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I say “came by it honestly” to my kids all the time. I’ve never thought it was creepy.

My H doesn’t not like to travel and will do almost anything to avoid staying in a hotel. My D said the same thing (I don’t mind staying in a Hotel) and I remarked that she got that from her dad.
    · Reply · Share