right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

A Peculiarly Dutch Summer Rite: Children Abandoned in the Night Woods

oldmom4896oldmom4896 4045 replies293 threads Senior Member
It may sound extreme, but it’s normal in the Netherlands.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/21/world/europe/netherlands-dropping-children.html
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: A Peculiarly Dutch Summer Rite: Children Abandoned in the Night Woods

• CaMom13CaMom13 2392 replies15 threads Senior Member
    LOL.
    "If this sounds crazy to you, it is because you are not Dutch."
    I am not Dutch, it does sound crazy and yet, I can see the potential benefits.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43284 replies471 threads Senior Member
    It doesn't sound like there are big problems like kidnappings, accidents/deaths, frozen toes, poisoning, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • walkinghomewalkinghome 7532 replies298 threads Senior Member
    Sounds like the Order of the Arrow ordeal that most boy scouts do. I think it sounds like fun.
    · Reply · Share
  • dietz199dietz199 3971 replies79 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm going to guess the ratio of lawyers to standard citizens is lower in the Netherlands. :)
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13774 replies114 threads Senior Member
    We did that in my Junior GS troop in Germany in the early 70s. Kids learn independence early in Europe!
    · Reply · Share
  • NYC2018nycNYC2018nyc 383 replies17 threads Member
    Love it!
    · Reply · Share
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 19961 replies164 threads Senior Member
    No bears. No mountain lions. No wolves. No cliffs. No gators.. In summer nights, the weather doesn’t go down to freezing. I’m guessing Dutch wild lands are safer than American wild lands.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 23511 replies308 threads Senior Member
    Sun also sets very late in the summer there.
    The article said sometimes adults hid in the woods and make boar noises. Sounds like a pretty well organized/supervised outing.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4gsmom4gsmom 868 replies29 threads Member
    I've been accused of being a pretty controlling mom and I would totally allow my kids to participate in something like that - if they wanted to. Would never force a kid to do it, however.
    · Reply · Share
  • AnotherIntlKidAnotherIntlKid 28 replies8 threads Junior Member
    Hi, Dutchman here. Accidentally found this thread and it's quite amusing. I remember 'droppings' from summer camps and I never felt abandoned/unsafe. There is usually a supervisor to make sure no one gets lost etc. As a kid, the thrill of exploring, finding your own way home and potentially getting 'caught' by 'patrollers' is great. Upon return we'd laugh, eat some snacks and go to bed.

Is this a case of the great Dutch independence? I have no idea as I was raised this way but I do think independence is instilled earlier on than in the States.
    · Reply · Share