right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

A Peculiarly Dutch Summer Rite: Children Abandoned in the Night Woods

oldmom4896oldmom4896 3884 replies288 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
It may sound extreme, but it’s normal in the Netherlands.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/21/world/europe/netherlands-dropping-children.html
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: A Peculiarly Dutch Summer Rite: Children Abandoned in the Night Woods

• CaMom13CaMom13 1850 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    LOL.
    "If this sounds crazy to you, it is because you are not Dutch."
    I am not Dutch, it does sound crazy and yet, I can see the potential benefits.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41730 replies450 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It doesn't sound like there are big problems like kidnappings, accidents/deaths, frozen toes, poisoning, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • walkinghomewalkinghome 7465 replies297 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Sounds like the Order of the Arrow ordeal that most boy scouts do. I think it sounds like fun.
    · Reply · Share
  • dietz199dietz199 3586 replies73 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 21
    I'm going to guess the ratio of lawyers to standard citizens is lower in the Netherlands. :)
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13396 replies110 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We did that in my Junior GS troop in Germany in the early 70s. Kids learn independence early in Europe!
    · Reply · Share
  • NYC2018nycNYC2018nyc 148 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Love it!
    · Reply · Share
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18273 replies157 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    No bears. No mountain lions. No wolves. No cliffs. No gators.. In summer nights, the weather doesn’t go down to freezing. I’m guessing Dutch wild lands are safer than American wild lands.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22894 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Sun also sets very late in the summer there.
    The article said sometimes adults hid in the woods and make boar noises. Sounds like a pretty well organized/supervised outing.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4gsmom4gsmom 706 replies25 threadsRegistered User Member
    I've been accused of being a pretty controlling mom and I would totally allow my kids to participate in something like that - if they wanted to. Would never force a kid to do it, however.
    · Reply · Share