right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Essay Brainstorming

bluegreen7bluegreen7 8 replies7 threads Junior Member
What are some tips for brainstorming essay topics for the common app?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Essay Brainstorming

• TheSATTeacherTheSATTeacher 236 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @bluegreen7
    Don't overthink the topic: the handling of the topic is more important than the topic. Write a whole bunch of essays on a variety of topics trivial and major. Use and then refine the ones you think turn out best.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluegreen7bluegreen7 8 replies7 threads Junior Member
    @TheSATTeacher Yup, I just overthink and self-criticize too much on my personal writing. But I will keep trying!
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 33186 replies161 threads Senior Member
    Our family talked about possible topics. I think it helps to look at some essay prompts and just start writing. See what speaks to you. Read the first chapter if Anne LaMott's book Bird by Bird where she talks about sh***y first drafts. Just write.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity