right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Jeffrey Epstein arrest and prosecution - is anyone following the case?

Replies to: Jeffrey Epstein arrest and prosecution - is anyone following the case?

• OHMomof2OHMomof2 12618 replies231 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    NYTimes article does add MBS - did we know they knew each other too? That dude can get a dissident reporter chopped up in an embassy, seems he can do this too....
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32115 replies158 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Ghislaine was born in France so it would be logical to be pronounced as the French do. The "h" is there to tell you it's a hard, not a soft G. If you want to hear it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiyL8oTwEvI
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38452 replies6720 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited August 13
    mathmom wrote: »
    Ghislaine was born in France so it would be logical to be pronounced as the French do. The "h" is there to tell you it's a hard, not a soft G. If you want to hear it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiyL8oTwEvI

Taking pronunciation tips from Youtube (unless the clip is of her saying, "Hello, I'm Ghislaine Maxwell). is akin to expecting a grammatically accurate translation via Google translate. The link does not provide an accurate pronunciation.

It is a hard g, but the s is silent. guh-LAYNE
    edited August 13
    Post edited by skieurope on
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3866 replies67 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 13
    Hard G, soft G, which is which? Girl, giraffe, which one has a hard G? I never can remember, if I ever knew.

I'm suspecting the name is pronounced with neither, but more like zh, à la française.

Girl is hard G. Giraffe is soft g. The name is pronounced gee-LANE. The g is hard.
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37814 replies2063 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    I think I would trust @skieurope most when it comes to pronunciation!
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16801 replies156 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    According to this , it could be pronounced in two ways:
    http://www.nancy.cc/2016/05/03/how-to-pronounce-french-names/
    Ghislain and Ghislaine are pronounced either ghee-len or zheez-len.
    But according to the rules of French I learned, the masculine form of the name should not have a hard n as we know it (think French version of Alain = a.lɛ̃);

Any native French speakers here? :)
    · Reply · Share
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18249 replies156 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I love Popehat. His latest:

"These stories don’t mention Jeffrey Epstein, but they are about him. Epstein was incarcerated in the United States of America, and this is how the United States of America, the mightiest and richest nation there is or ever has been, treats incarcerated people. When you say, “There is no way that guards could be so reckless, so indifferent, so malicious as to just let someone as important as Epstein die,” this is how 32 Americans respond. Many, many more could respond in kind."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/thirty-two-stories-jeffrey-epstein-prison-death/596029/
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41519 replies447 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 13
    It's a French first name and has two accepted pronunciations: ghee-lane (Len) and gee- slane (Len). The first one is considered more power less, the second one more working class, so since she's a socialite I'm guessing the first one is the correct one.
    Type up Ghislaine Chenu in YouTube?
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38452 replies6720 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited August 13
    Ghislain and Ghislaine are pronounced either ghee-len or zheez-len.
    But according to the rules of French I learned, the masculine form of the name should not have a hard n as we know it (think French version of Alain = a.lɛ̃);

Any native French speakers here? :)

Not a native, but I've spoken it for 20 years.

The French grammatical rule is that "g" before a consonant or before "a" "o" or "u" is a hard g. "G" before "e""i" or "y" is a soft g. So strict rules would say that "Ghis" rhymes with the French pronunciation of the name "Guy" or the first syllable of "Guillaume. "

However, pronunciation of names is not always so strict. Just as 2 American women will pronounce their name of "Andrea" differently, 2 French speakers will pronounce their name of Ghislaine differently. The hard g is more common, but the soft g is not uncommon, particularly in Québec.

Having given the mini French lesson, I interpreted the original question as "How does Ghislaine Maxwell pronounce her name?", so nothing I said about French pronunciation in this post applies to her. Because as I answered in an earlier post, she pronounces her name guh-LAYNE.
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41519 replies447 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    * first/more upper class (typo!!!)
    · Reply · Share
  • jonrijonri 7270 replies134 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Well the head of the MCC--prison where Epstein was held--has been replaced and 2 guards have been put on leave.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/warden-reassigned-manhattan-jail-where-jeffrey-epstein-died-2-guards-n1041951
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2892 replies12 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Cardinal Fang

Thanks for the link to the Ken White article. Read it and heard his voice the entire time.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12618 replies231 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @jonri seems like the scapegoating is beginning...
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5409 replies79 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I assumed it would be blamed on guards. Nothing to see here folks; let’s just move along. I also heard the fbi just recently raided his island. He was dead and it was quite awhile since his arrest. I feel like that gave people plenty of time to clear out the place.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 2806 replies36 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not all of us have some early Christianity-inspired aversion to suicide or think it is sinful and must be stopped at all times.
    · Reply · Share
  • katliamomkatliamom 12782 replies167 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Ghislaine has had quite the life. Her billionaire father is a notorious crook who committed suicide when he ran his businesses into the ground. So she moved to NYC and started hanging out with Epstein who appears to have bought her apartment. This woman has been around plenty unsavory (but rich) characters, it appears.... Google her father Robert Maxwell, there's an eye-popping Vanity Fair article after his death in the early 90s.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3316 replies11 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Today's story about the Royal family and the scandal.
    I hadn't known that Fergie had received money from Epstein. And the Queen is apparently smiling too much.
    https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2019/08/prince-andrew-jeffrey-epstein
    · Reply · Share