right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Class of 2024 undergrad/Class of 2022 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

Replies to: Class of 2024 undergrad/Class of 2022 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

• buoyantbuoyant 113 replies8 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited August 4
    @nikkixbires Hello and welcome! Hey, there is a separate forum for musical theater majors which you may find helpful since the audition process is different. But stick with us here too - we’d love to know how things are going for you. Good luck. https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/musical-theater-major/
    edited August 4
    · Reply · Share
  • DramaMama603DramaMama603 69 replies3 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Are any of your students at the Berklee 5 Week this summer?
    · Reply · Share
  • DoransaDoransa 26 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @akapiratequeen We have been touring the schools. So far we checked out
    CIM,
    Blair,
    Eastman,
    Oberlin,
    Jacobs school of music.
    I think the most important thing is the find the right teacher to study with. All schools have + and - one way or another.
    My kid loved Oberlin. I think the setting and the architecture really impressed him. Not sure how he would feel if he gets in. It is such a small place. We loved the music library at Eastman. Jacobs school of music had the worst practice spaces (at least what we saw, maybe there are some other ones) but university is beautiful with great teachers. CIM practice spaces were claustrophobic for my taste. BTW congratulations on Eastman acceptance, and good luck with the move.
    · Reply · Share
  • akapiratequeenakapiratequeen 996 replies34 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Thanks, @Doransa! And best of luck to your son! What are the favorites so far?
    · Reply · Share
  • bridgenailbridgenail 1012 replies5 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Doransa Was it the ugly round building at Jacobs?!?! Where you can't find your way in or out...but you're definitely stuck in a dirty 1970s building? I think they do have some nicer ones in a new building (just completed as my D left) but they may be harder to come by. My D never seemed to care about the practice rooms...and from the state of any of her rooms during college, I guess a clean, nice room really wasn't a priority. Sounds like you had some good tours.
    · Reply · Share
    @akapiratequeen I think Oberlin , CIM and Eastman all are his favorites. Eastman seems to be a hard reach for him but he would like to try. He is planning to major in Composition and application process is overwhelming. On top of his compositions some schools want prescreening videos , essays and what not. If he passes the prescreening then the interviews and live auditions on his primary instrument.
    He was in a Eastman summer camp he absolutely had the best time of his life. Found great friends and good teachers.
    · Reply · Share
    @bridgenail I believe it was the older building we saw the practice rooms. We did not see any dorm rooms there.
    · Reply · Share
    @Doransa the Eastman audition process is challenging for sure, but the environment at the audition and among the students was surprisingly nurturing and supportive. I think that’s when my son realized he’d found “his people” — in spite of all the work, their program rose to the top of the list after audition weekend. It was a stretch for him as well, but I believe it helped that he’d worked hard at the summer program and was clearly eager to learn. Eastman gives generous merit aid, as well. Best of luck to your composer!

Also: I believe Boston conservatory is very good for composition, too. Have you visited?
    · Reply · Share
    @SweetStrings all great schools! so excited for you guys! It’s a long haul and there were times when I couldn’t EVEN but it was a wonderful experience, too.
    · Reply · Share
  • Racingfan53Racingfan53 65 replies6 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Haha, I finalized my apply list near the beginning of the summer but am starting to second-guess myself. I know I thought through everything and it's a good list but it's still tough because I don't already have all the decisions XD I crossed off U of Utah a while back, but they may end up back on the list because the academic merit aid is just so enticing.
    I did want to visit some schools, but my dad wants me to wait until the live auditions so we don't have to fly around the country a whole bunch. I get it. So, we're gonna wait on that for now... just focusing on essays and audition repertoire here.
    Good luck to all of you!! I'm sure this is gonna be an exciting year!!
    · Reply · Share
  • MMRoseMMRose 23 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hi @Doransa .
    My son just went through the music composition application process last year and yes -- they want a LOT. I couldn't believe how much the schools required (although note that neither USC nor Oberlin wanted a performance component, although everyone else did). I found that a good spreadsheet and a comprehensive calendar to keep track of the many moving parts was essential.
    A couple of options that might not be on your radar: UC Santa Barbara has a very unique composition program as part of their School of Creative Studies. McGill and University of British Columbia both have good composition programs if you are open to Canada. And if your son likes Oberlin, he may also like Lawrence, which has a similar model.
    Best of luck to you! It does get better!
    · Reply · Share
  • gram22gram22 104 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Sweetstrings, Since you're traveling to Boston, New England Conservatory is an excellent school with some great violin faculty. You should make the trip a twofer.
    · Reply · Share
  • tlrgrillstlrgrills 4 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
    Hi- my daughter is starting her senior year and is currently working on applications. Her interest is music education and songwriting or vocal performance (depending on which school). Her main instrument is voice but she also plays violin, guitar, banjo and piano.

I’ve been on and off CC for a few years. I have an older daughter beginning her junior year at Tulane University with a dual major in music composition and digital media production.

The process for my younger daughter is different and I’m feeling anxious because she has questions about the applications and I don’t know to whom she should turn. I’m hoping this forum helps. Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
  • Racingfan53Racingfan53 65 replies6 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @tlrgrills welcome!! I would probably get along with your daughter :) I'm an aspiring music educator as well, and my primary instrument is voice. Where is your D applying? Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
    @MMRose I already started a excel but even with that there are so many things to consider. I will make sure have a calendar handy. Most of his friends are only writing essays and asking for references while we are struggling what to do first.
    USC kind of far for us but maybe he should add to his list. He will try Oberlin for sure. McGill is a very good school, and we have some relatives there. So it might be an option. He checked out Lawrence but I think there are only two teachers and he discarded it. He is considering CIM which has only one teacher. So not sure what is his logic. We will check out UC Santa Barbara for sure. Thank you. We are asking him to apply some universities with good music composition teachers. Just in case conservatories do not work out.
    I hope it gets better, right now I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel.
    Where did your son go?
    · Reply · Share
    @MMRoseI just saw the Thornton school of music next to your name. Congratulations.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 14
    @JeJeJe I think it is more stressful to parents than the kids. They have the attitude of they can do all in one sitting. Congrats to your son as well.
    edited August 14
    · Reply · Share