right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Focaccia

mom60mom60 7881 replies505 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
I haven’t ventured into bread making since my bread machine days of the early 90’s. I’m feeling the desire to attempt focaccia. Any preferences for recipes and tips?
Also thinking to try pita bread.
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Focaccia

• abasketabasket 19347 replies860 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would like to eat all of it. :) I know some people who are faithful to this book - including Jenna Fisher (Pam from The Office) who has become addicted to bread baking! She was working her way through this cookbook and posting each recipe on Instagram - I believe she did make a focaccia:
    https://www.amazon.com/Bread-Baking-Beginners-Essential-No-Knead-ebook/dp/B07HPF3W6N
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3818 replies48 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Both are easy, the fresh loaf is a great site for bread related stuff. Good flour is such a big part of this, and a good oven, and I always like preferment, for focaccia, a poolish.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8756 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Watch Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, on Netflix. The first episode is Fat and it is all in Italy. They make foccacia at some point, and it is both complicated and beautifully simple. Watch and take notes!
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5505 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Pita is super fun to make.
    I like to put a good olive oil on focaccia and some herbs--usually rosemary.
    Have never made focaccia from scratch but long ago made pita.
    · Reply · Share
  • mamommamom 3674 replies24 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Focaccia is so good! I have used it to make pizza. I will have to search for the recipe. Haven't made it in a while because I have a "tendency" to eat too much of it.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7881 replies505 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @mamom I think that will be my problem. I will eat most of it and my H will eat one piece. He is incredibly disciplined. He will eat the pita though.
    @greenwitch thanks for the reminder I will rewatch that episode.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 705 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    DIL and DS2 make this http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/rosemary-focaccia-bread/ I think they add sun dried tomatoes. When DS1 flew out to visit, they sent him along with a bunch for his flight back and he raved about it too.
    · Reply · Share
  • JHSJHS 18408 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The same over-dense dough I use for bagels also makes great pita.
    1 cup water
    sourdough starter (~1/3 cup wet) (or 1/2 packet yeast)
    2 tsp. malted barley syrup (or use slightly less honey, or 1 tsp sugar)
    3 cups white bread flour, divided in two 1-1/2 cup portions, with some extra flour available (and you can use all or part all-purpose flour if you want)
    1 tsp. salt
    1. Dissolve sourdough starter (or yeast) and syrup (or sugar) in the water.
    2. Add half the flour and stir to mix.
    3. Let sit covered until all bubbly and rising (~6-7 hours for sourdough, ~1-2 hours for yeast)
    4. Mix in salt and the other half of the flour.
    5. Knead, sprinkling in more flour in bits, until the dough is smooth and elastic, and won't take more flour.
    6. Let sit in a lightly oiled bowl, covered, until dough increases ~50% in volume. Best: leave overnight or at least 4-5 hours in the refrigerator.
    7. Preheat oven with baking stone to 500 F.
    8. Remove dough from bowl and let sit, covered, for awhile, at least 10 mins.
    9. Divide dough into 6-8 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a flat circle about the size of a dessert plate with a rolling pin.
    10. Let circles sit, covered, for a few minutes before you start baking them.
    11. Bake circles directly on baking stone for 5-8 minutes apiece, until they puff up and just start to brown. Do two batches, 3 or 4 at a time.
    12. Serve as close to immediately as you can.

· Reply · Share
    Thanks. I am hoping to attempt focaccia on the weekend if I have enough time. If not the following weekend. I ordered some flaky salt from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow.
    · Reply · Share
    @greenwitch I rewatched the episode on fat. Thank you for the suggestion. I went with the recipe Samin has on the internet. I made the dough which was very simple to make, let it sit overnight and baked the next afternoon. It came out great but it was too salty. Upon reviewing the recipe I realized I had misread the brine ingredients and used way too much salt. It was still very good. Next time I’ll be more careful in my recipe reading.
    · Reply · Share