right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

2016 and beyond wedding moms and dads

Replies to: 2016 and beyond wedding moms and dads

• lookingforwardlookingforward 33603 replies369 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Booked the first florist visit. Funny thing is, he asked me things like which room at the venue and I have no idea. D1 and FSIL vetted that.

I haven't been to a wedding in ages. Among DH's many cousins, after the first few weddings of the next gen, they just stopped inviting all the collateral relatives. In some cases, the female cousins stopped inviting each other. Fine. It's still a lovely, warm extended family.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 2978 replies45 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    That’s so exciting, @GRITS80! Welcome!
    · Reply · Share
  • runnersmomrunnersmom 2185 replies36 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @GRITS80, congratulations! I'm now MOG for the 2nd time and we're having a lot of fun.
    · Reply · Share
  • travelnuttravelnut 1960 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Congratulations, @GRITS80. Wonderful that you are excited to have his fiancée join the family.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenbuttongreenbutton 2650 replies119 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Congrats!!! Join the MOG club!!
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8873 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Welcome to the MOG club. This is a special group. We learn to praise nice touches and act less enthusiastic about some awful ideas. Only resist when you feel it is absolutely necessary. Ex., not scheduling a wedding on the weekend of a Marathon. It took me 2 days to show how hotel prices doubled, the hotel and venue were within the zone, etc. it can be difficult at times, but you will learn to nod and smile
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55364 replies2880 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    YAYAYAYAY @GRITS80! Congrats and welcome to the MOG club! Been through it twice. Its a blast!
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3304 replies11 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Welcome to the MOG club!
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33603 replies369 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm considering asking to speak at either the service or reception. But I can be trusted to keep it meaningful, appropriate...and short.
    · Reply · Share
  • fretfulmotherfretfulmother 1950 replies46 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @greenbutton - I will make a mental note not to say that (!!!) seriously that is a very strange thing to say about one's own daughter.
    · Reply · Share
    Years back, I had a patient who said to her DIL, “I didn’t know they made wedding gowns that large”. She was never forgiven.

I’m not thrilled that future DIL is wearing a short gown, but I will forever keep my opinion to myself.
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15561 replies98 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My niece wore a short little tutu wedding dress. The dress was not flattering. But it was what she wanted to wear, and it was her wedding.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19208 replies855 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @downtoearth maybe it's time to have a sit down talk (or over Facetime if she is far away) to talk about decisions moving forward. It is important that she does not have regrets on the large wedding and so discussing things now and getting more on the same page might be in order. It can be a stressful time!
    · Reply · Share
    I’m sure others have felt like I do. Because my son’s wedding is far away, and on a Sunday night, only a dozen of my relatives are coming. The number is about the same for my son. He has friends coming from Zurich and Canada and Oregon, but not Japan nor P.R. We represent 1/6 of the crowd. Will we feel lost?

· Reply · Share
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 4139 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 15
    When S2 got married over a Labor Weekend in the ski resorts of Colorado none of my family made it and only dear friends of the family did, plus his siblings and best friends. Bride’s family far outnumbered us but it did not matter in the long run. A good time was had by all. Make friends with the bride’s side and have fun!
    edited September 15
    · Reply · Share
  • orangepurpleorangepurple 164 replies14 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @bookworm I don't think you'll feel lost at all. If you don't have a lot of relatives to talk to, you will have more time to get to know the bride's side of the family. I also really enjoyed talking to the young folks, the bride and groom's friends, some of whom I had met over the years as well as others.
    · Reply · Share