right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Romani Jr is on the way

Replies to: Romani Jr is on the way

• busdriver11busdriver11 15214 replies28 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I find it helpful, when I have to deal with people that I don't particularly care for, is to work very hard at pretending that I like them. I fake it very well, occasionally enough to the point that I end up actually liking them. I find something about them that I appreciate, ask them about it and am genuinely interested. People can tell when you don't like them, and they react accordingly. If they feel that you like them and have something that you can connect with, they behave better. It really works. Even if it's something trivial.

I agree with the others about not telling them about the baby taking your name, right now. Though you want to get it over with, it will end up ruining their joy about hearing the news about having a grandchild (whether or not MIL already suspects it). Why give them a happy gift and then create conflict? Honestly, I would just be happy, take the path of least resistance, nod and smile. It's worth it to keep your blood pressure down. Give bad news at a distance.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8031 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Hope it goes with the in laws @romanigypsyeyes !
    · Reply · Share
  • mominvamominva 3034 replies36 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Best of luck tonight, Romani and Mr. R. Hope you can appreciate the joyful moments.
    Along @busdriver11's lines, tell the R grandparents that you cannot wait for them to do something special for this baby, but be specific: like to each write a family history, or to teach them a special skill they have, or a family tradition.
    Make it a request that will have them bonding with the person this child will become, and take the focus off the name the child will have.
    I know it's late in the game for tonight, but there are 'baby books' for grandparents to fill out. Maybe order one and tell them it will be delivered to their house. Give them joy, don't let them steal yours.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38130 replies2089 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    I love the grandparents' book idea. PLEASE ask them to do it NOW! My mom worked on hers some, but it's not finished and now she's not doing too well. :(
    · Reply · Share
  • travelnuttravelnut 1960 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    All the best with tonight. Such people are a challenge; happy to hear that you and Mr R are on the same page. The joyful anticipation is yours to have, as are the decision-making of parenthood. Great to have your family support and other members of his family so completely in your corner.
    · Reply · Share
    I do wish you luck. It’s unfortunate that this has to be stressful, instead of purely a happy occasion. Hopefully it will be easier than anticipated.

Definitely agree with @mominva about the family history book or tradition to share.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19208 replies855 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You bet it is. Way to go FIL!!!!

Now, get some stress rest!!! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38754 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Given what you told us about these folks, yes, it was a success. Congrats on handling it so well. Lol at the beer. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 651 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    ^^^ Yeah, who got to drink the beer???
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3032 replies45 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I’m glad that hurdle had a happy outcome! Cute that mil texted her friends she was wrong. My fil saved the day for us years ago by proclaiming joy over our engagement after mil had an unbecoming response. Lol. In-laws!
    · Reply · Share
    That sounds like it went as well as possibly could have been expected. Congratulations! Maybe they will step up and be fantastic grandparents.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34205 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Nice that FIL wants YOU to be a healthy momma and have a healthy baby! Sounds like maybe Mr R takes after his dad in diplomacy and FIL sounds like he’s looking forward to little Jedi.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3304 replies11 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Glad your dinner and reveal went so well. And kudos to Mr. R's father.
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33295 replies767 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 17
    Well I made it all the way to week 9, but I'll now take those pregnancy sickness tips anyone has to offer...

Tried ginger stuff. Went very not well.
    edited September 17
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3032 replies45 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I kept saltines on my nightstand. I’d sip water and nibble crackers to help the nausea. I also lived on chocolate pudding pops for a few weeks. I don’t think they still make those.
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5500 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 18
    Put 7-up or ginger ale on your bed stand and let it go flat overnight.
    Leave a bowl of popcorn (plain old home popped) to go stale.
    DO NOT LIFT YOUR HEAD and try to eat a little and sip a little for 30 minutes.
    This was the only thing that gave me some relief of 8 months of morning sickness. Although my worst time was 12:30 am every night. Also do not eat NACHOS as your main diet item LOL. Hey, I was vegetarian and there were beans and cheese...
    Also helps one client and two family members who suffers from stomach migraines.
    Hugs and hugs.
    edited September 18
    · Reply · Share