right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

Should College Freshman Head Home Every Weekend?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 32 replies308 threads Editor
The Dean weighs in on whether a college freshman should visit home every weekend. https://insights.collegeconfidential.com/freshman-come-home-every-weekend
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should College Freshman Head Home Every Weekend?

• STEM2017STEM2017 4102 replies96 threads Senior Member
    Should College Freshman Head Home Every Weekend?

No
    · Reply · Share
  • GKUnionGKUnion 223 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Students need to acclimate. Going home is a mistake.
    · Reply · Share
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 4110 replies28 threads Senior Member
    One of my mentees (first gen) goes home every other weekend and I had to encourage her to even get it to that as her parents wanted her home every weekend. It frustrates me, but there’s nothing I can do about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • misrajainmisrajain 3 replies0 threads New Member
  • Nicki20Nicki20 444 replies5 threads Member
    No. I'm not sure if the bigger problem is the kid coming home or the parent thinking nothing of it.
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 2082 replies18 threads Senior Member
    What's the point of going away to college if you come home frequently? Personally, Thanksgiving break and that's it until Christmas break. That's why fit is important.
    · Reply · Share
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers 872 replies2 threads Member
    One of the big reasons we did not want our D (a single child) to go to school down the street. Living on campus, with roommates, away from us, was, we felt, very important to her personal development. She is 1 hour away (with no car), but in addition to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and spring break (plus us going to see her - homecoming, etc.), she also managed to get home several other weekends over her freshman year. There was nothing at home other than us and her old room - it was just a physical and emotional break from a very demanding academic experience and challenging roommate situation. Now a senior (with out-of-state summer internships under her belt), she's in a great roommate situation, much more social, busy with school and job and research and adulting. We miss her more than she misses us, which is the way it should be at this point.
    · Reply · Share