right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

Laptop backpack or tote bag .. gift ideas

sorghumsorghum 3524 replies112 threads Senior Member
"Perhaps a professional looking backpack or tote bag for schlepping around laptop and books? Could come in handy for school/internships"

Xmas gift feedback from DD, a law student.

What brand/ feature recommendations do you all have? I thought of anti theft, RFID, phone charging, TSA convenient. Anything else? Maybe a tracking device if lost or stolen?

No hard limit on price but I'm guessing $200 would be enough.

12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Laptop backpack or tote bag .. gift ideas

• HouseChatteHouseChatte 923 replies2 threads Member
    travelonbags.com have anti-theft (slash-proof, "locking" zippers, RFID). Some of them are waterproof. I have a couple of their smaller bags and they're really well made and user friendly.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35113 replies396 threads Senior Member
    I just bought Costco’s Ogio backpacks for me, H and our two kids. I really like them and thought they are great and a nice price. In store they were $39.99 at our Costco.

H independently looked at them and liked them so much he got one for himself and agreed the kids should each have one. (The black one is better, sturdier fabric than the grey one.). Reviews were very positive.

Online they’re $54.99 shipped to you. https://www.costco.com/ogio-alpha-prospect-backpack.product.100460198.html
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 76446 replies3379 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    My young adult has a solid black Vera Bradley computer tote which is used for schlepping when a professional look is needed.

But for everyday schlepping of computer and books...she has a Jansport backpack.

edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • adlgeladlgel 810 replies34 threads Member
    I am in my 50s and carry a laptop backpack. I used to carry tote bags because they seemed more fashionable I guess but now I find tote bags are much harder on the back/shoulder to carry, especially when packed with a laptop, chargers, wallet, etc. so I've converted to using a laptop backpack. My only requirements for a daily use school/work backpack are:

1. it has an easily accessible, padded laptop compartment that will fit my laptop size
    2. it has at least one side pocket big enough to carry a Swell or Hydroflask type of water bottle (bonus points for a pocket on the other side I can stash my compact umbrella in)
    3. It has a small easily accessible pocket to store my work badge and sunglasses

I have been using this one from Luulemon daily for the past 3 years (it goes to work, to the gym and I travel with it) and it has stood up surprisingly well and has all the compartments I would ever want including a zippered "secret" compartment on the side that I use for my passport when traveling. It also looks a little "prettier" than a lot of other backpacks which I like. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another backpack from them based upon my experience with this one.

https://www.lulufanatics.com/item/20544/lululemon-pack-to-reality-backpack-exploded-moody-mirage-earl-grey-alberta-lake
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4760 replies189 threads Senior Member
    My son and his girlfriend, both consultants, carry backpacks to work. When they come here they each have 2 - one for work and one for their personal computer.
    My husband, a scientist, changed from a “tote/messenger” kind of back to a backpack several years ago too. I don’t carry much back and forth to work, but when I need to I use a tote.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 13219 replies247 threads Senior Member
    Not recommending any particular brand, but mine has a thick strap on the back so it slides onto the handle of my wheeled carryon suitcase and that is the BEST THING EVER.
    · Reply · Share
  • anomanderanomander 1742 replies4 threads Senior Member
    I’ve been using the same North Face backpack for work for at least a decade now. Still going strong, although I have my eye on a Tumi backpack now since they give much more of an upscale professional look.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3682 replies37 threads Senior Member
    My oldest uses a Longchamp backpack. She travels often for work and says the backpack is easier for traveling. Longchamp bags wear well—I have a tote that looks like new and I have had it for ages.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4760 replies189 threads Senior Member
    @anomander, I have been using the same North Face backpack since I went to graduate school back in 1991.
    I don’t think North Face was even an “in thing” back then. I don’t use it daily, but it’s my go to when hiking/traveling. I was just telling my husband it was 30 years old, but realized I “lied” - it’s only 28.
    · Reply · Share
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom 1725 replies10 threads Senior Member
    I love my Vera Bradley laptop backpack although they no longer make the exact model. I will never use anything except a backpack for my gear. I work at a college so I guess I can blend in that way.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39657 replies471 threads Senior Member
    Is this going to be used for carrying books to class? Here is some feedback from a recent law student. If she just started law school and intends to use the gift to carry books to class, get her the *lightest* possible backpack or tote. Weight matters! Her law books likely weigh like 10 pounds - each. :) If she is a 2L, she is then mostly done with the mandatory classes, has already figured out how to schlep the heavy loads of torts and contracts to class, and just wants something cool/professional/functional/for future use. Some female lawyers I know carry Kate Spade totes.
    · Reply · Share