right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Social Life at Big Schools

pigspiepigspie 33 replies3 threads Junior Member
If I don’t rush for a frat, will I still be able to experience “real” parties? I’ve seen a lot of posts commenting on how hard it is to get into parties if you’re a guy who’s not in a frat. I’m not really interested in joining a frat, but I still want to go to parties. Any insight or advice is appreciated.
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Social Life at Big Schools

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 9755 replies108 threads Senior Member
    My D is at a big flagship. Greek parties are invite only. Strictly enforced. You need to be friends with a brother to get on the list so it depends on your friend group.

That said there is so much going on around campus that you can have a very active social life outside the Greek system.

· Reply · Share
  • PrdMomto1PrdMomto1 456 replies7 threads Member
    I think the culture varies a bit school by school. Are there particular schools you're wondering about? In general, momofsenior1 is correct: Frat parties will probably not allow you in unless you know someone. But, every school will be different in regards to what else is available for those not in a frat.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11061 replies145 threads Senior Member
    edited February 18
    Frat parties are not "by invitation only" at all large schools.

Social life at big universities is anything that one wants it to be.
    edited February 18
    · Reply · Share