right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Lily Wuerth will be live on our Instagram page today at 3pm ET to talk about how she used extracurriculars to get into Georgia Tech. ASK HER ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Coughing during SSAT?

iusedtobesmartiusedtobesmart 87 replies11 threads Junior Member
edited February 19 in Prep School Admissions
While I was taking my SSAT (Feb. 8th), about 25 of the 30 kids in the room were coughing and sniffling, all incredibly loudly. I could barely focus on my test, and because of that I got a lower score than I wanted. It's been (obviously) a while, but is it reasonable to file a complaint now? What are the rules for being a distraction during the SSAT?
edited February 19
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Coughing during SSAT?

• skieuropeskieurope 40797 replies7569 threads Super Moderator
    is it reasonable to file a complaint now?
    No
    What are the rules for being a distraction during the SSAT?
    You're not in a private soundproof booth. Distractions are expected to happen.
    · Reply · Share
  • iusedtobesmartiusedtobesmart 87 replies11 threads Junior Member
    @one1ofeach

I was just wondering, especially because I'm sure it impacted other kids in the room too. I saw people all around me trying to plug their ears so they could focus.

Also, this wasn't just normal occasional coughing and throat-clearing and sniffling.

It sounded like people were trying to hack up gigantic hairballs, and the noise was CONSTANT for the entire test.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5725 replies268 threads Senior Member
    Based on the flu thread over on the Parents forum, I'm betting the same hairball cacaphony is going on in many BS classrooms as I write this. Just something you'll have to get used to.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5725 replies268 threads Senior Member
    Let me beat the drum yet again (old-timers, cover your ears or go get another cup of coffee):

Once your scores are at or above the average for the schools to which you are applying, you're done. Move on. Nothing else to see here. The purpose of the SSAT is simply to indicate to a school that an applicant can do the work. That's it. Nothing more. No school is splitting hairs on an application based on SSAT scores. Your scores get about a ten-second look. Top scores are not a hook especially when so many are achieved by superscoring.

Ah, superscoring... Many applicants take the SSAT as many times as they can to get the best possible superscore they can. Why not? I think it's great that a kid who might have been sick (coughing up a hairball?) during the first attempt, or misbubbled, or had never taken a standardized test in their life can have another go of it. But understand that if it takes you three, four, five tries to get the best score, that only proves you've worked on your test-taking ability; your understanding of a general body of knowledge has not changed -- and, depending on the school, you may be competing against students who got those top scores in one sitting with no prep. Will you feel comfortable in that cohort? This may be one reason so many "top-scoring" kids are not accepted by some schools. Just a theory.
    · Reply · Share
  • stalecookiesstalecookies 106 replies6 threads Junior Member
    edited February 20
    one1ofeach wrote: »
    EVERY boarding school AO I spoke with - and keep in mind that I live in MA so that means basically the top ten list no matter how you cut it - told me that they reject MANY kids each year with a perfect GPA and perfect SSAT scores. Stop worrying about your score. I absolutely promise it will not affect your admission at this point.

Merely "agreeing" or clicking on "helpful" is not enough for your post.

Thank you! Thank you!
    edited February 20
    · Reply · Share