right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Cornell University ED or RD?

AD1127AD1127 17 replies7 threads Junior Member
edited March 26 in Cornell University
Hi guys,

I am super interested in Cornell CALS and would like some imput on my scenario. so after this semester (end of junior year) my GPA will be a 4.05. Assuming I get all A's first semester senior year, my GPA would be a 4.12.

Is that difference worth not applying ED but applying RD to Cornell CALS? Thanks for any help
edited March 26
31 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Cornell University ED or RD?

• NJdad07090NJdad07090 549 replies8 threads Member
    Well can you afford full tuition at Cornell bc if you go ED you are saying you will go if accepted. How many Ap's act score, sat? any hooks?
    · Reply · Share
  • Luckyjade2024Luckyjade2024 638 replies9 threads Member
    Go ED if that is your first choice
    · Reply · Share
  • monydadmonydad 7958 replies160 threads Senior Member
    RE #1:
    My understanding is if you go ED you are saying you will go if accepted
    *provided* the offered financial aid package is acceptable. So one can still apply even if they cannot afford full tuition, provided that they reasonably expect to qualify for a financial aid award.

What they can't do, vs. RD, is compare competing FA awards. That does not mean they necessarily must be full pay.

IF OP lives in NYS, CALS tuition will be somewhat cheaper from the outset in any event. Though still quite costly.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9762 replies109 threads Senior Member
    I slight bump in GPA is not going to be the difference between an acceptance or not.
    · Reply · Share
  • AD1127AD1127 17 replies7 threads Junior Member
    here's a run down of my stats/extracurriculars

GPA:

UW: 3.86
    W: 4.12

ACT:

33 (36,28,35,34) - hoping to bump math up and get composite 34-35

APUSH (5), AP Bio (?), AP Comparative Gov (?), AP CSP (?), [next year] AP English Lang, AP Calc AB, AP Physics 1

3 Honors classes over all

Extracurriculars:

Cross Country (1-4)
    Track (104))
    Science Olympiad (1-4, couple of awards, president 3,4)
    Scholstic Bowl (1-4, president 2,3,4)
    Medical Club (2-4, president 4)
    NHS
    Spanish Honors Society

Essays:

Common App: still working on it, probably an 8/10
    Supplement: 9-10/10

Not really any hooks

Also I am out of state at a top 5 high school in Illinois

· Reply · Share
    ***Also am self studying APES this year
    · Reply · Share
    And as far as price goes, I can reasobably afford the cost from College Board net price calculator, but definetly not sticker price. I am under the impression that If i can not afford cost of college, I don't have to enroll in my ED institution.

^ please tell me if I am correct about that.
    · Reply · Share
    you are correct...so if it is your first choice, no doubt ED gives you more of an advantage than a tiny jump in your gpa
    · Reply · Share
    @Luckyjade2024 and anyone else, do you think I would get in ED to CALS

· Reply · Share
    you have stats, but its more than that...and only admissions truly know. I was deferred ED and I had stats...so waiting now on Human Ecology.
    · Reply · Share
    Good luck @Luckyjade2024 for ivy day!
    · Reply · Share
    do you mind sharing your stats?
    · Reply · Share
    AD1127 wrote: »
    do you mind sharing your stats?

sat 1500 -750/750
    school doesnt rank
    95 avg uw...every class taken was honors and AP
    tons of extras, work, voulunteer etc
    interview went really well
    great essay and reccomendation

fingers crossed
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9762 replies109 threads Senior Member
    Unhooked applicants are a tough sell at Cornell ED. What's your intended major/college at Cornell?
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 2107 replies33 threads Senior Member
    Applying early decision will give you somewhat of an edge in admissions (remember many/all the hooked applicants will also be applying ED) but make sure you tell Cornell a compelling story of why you would be a good fit for them and give your adcom enough information so that he/she can “go to bat for you” in these committee meetings.

Packaging yourself is very important at top universities as they get thousands of applicants with high GPA and test scores. Everyone looks the same. Make sure your Rec letters and ECs confirm your “story”.

Lastly, get your Math score up to a 31 or 32 for a 34+ composite.
    · Reply · Share
    Since CALS is one of the contract schools and I am OOS, does that decrease my chances and by how much?
    · Reply · Share
  • monydadmonydad 7958 replies160 threads Senior Member
    maybe, but by how much who knows, there are no published relevant stats .
    So far as I am aware.
    · Reply · Share
    anyone who was accepted for '23, any tips?

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow!
    · Reply · Share
  • NJdad07090NJdad07090 549 replies8 threads Member
    @AD1127 I would run the Cornell NPC and see if it spits out the same number and check what Cornell ED fine print.
    · Reply · Share
  • lifeguard77lifeguard77 30 replies7 threads Junior Member
    ED is kind of deceiving because while the acceptance rate it higher, there are generally better candidate applying that way. However, go for it. You are agreeing to pay the tuition, but a school like Cornell has a very large endowment and can nearly meet your EFC or what the CSS profile provides them compared to good schools who are slightly lesser that will for sure cost more (ex. Villanova is expensive as anything!)
    · Reply · Share