right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

chance me UC berkeley?

p0megranatesp0megranates 3 replies2 threads New Member
Hi! I'm class of 2021 and Cal is probably my dream school. I'm also thinking of applying to Brown, Georgetown, NYU, Northeastern, and some other UCs + safeties. If anyone could chance me for some of these (or just Berkeley) that would be greatly appreciated!

Stats:
1550 SAT
(taking my subject tests in June I know I'm late)

GPA: (calculated with UC criteria, so this includes my junior year but not freshman.)
UW 3.81
W 4.58
Weighted and Capped 4.03

Freshman Year classes:
AP Bio (3)
WHAP (4)
H Algebra II
H English 9
H Spanish I

Sophomore Year:
AP Euro
AP Physics I
H Precalculus
H English 10
H Spanish II

Junior Year:
AP English Language
AP Calculus AB
APUSH
H Chemistry
H Spanish 3
Art elective

Senior year confirmed classes:
AP Stats
AP English Lit
AP Government
(and probably AP Environmental + some electives)

Extra curriculars:
Debate club (4 years, 2 years leadership position)
Community service club (4 years, 2 years president)
Tutoring (4 years, 2 years president)
Journalism club (4 years editor-in-chief)
Varsity sport (2 years)
Anddd I have a job

Misc.
- I'm from California
- A decent amount of students at my school usually get in
- I'm Asian if that matters
- No intended major yet

thanks!
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: chance me UC berkeley?

• daunt18daunt18 155 replies7 threads Junior Member
    The intended major matters a lot. Your chances will be vastly different if you apply to EECS vs media studies, for example.
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2905 replies8 threads Senior Member
    I would caution against going to an expensive school. Layoffs are the new normal, and it's going to be that way for a while.
    · Reply · Share
  • p0megranatesp0megranates 3 replies2 threads New Member
    edited March 26
    coolguy40 wrote: »
    I would caution against going to an expensive school. Layoffs are the new normal, and it's going to be that way for a while.

yea, that’s a big reason why I’m hoping for cal because it’ll be a lot more affordable than schools on the east coast.
    edited March 26
    · Reply · Share
  • p0megranatesp0megranates 3 replies2 threads New Member
    edited March 26
    daunt18 wrote: »
    The intended major matters a lot. Your chances will be vastly different if you apply to EECS vs media studies, for example.

i’m not stem oriented, does that make my chances better or worse? I know ucb is very stem heavy
    edited March 26
    · Reply · Share
  • daunt18daunt18 155 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Yes, it improves your chances. Now if you plan to enter Haas eventually, that's another difficult major.
    Your stats are fine and your ECs are at the medium level for Berkeley. If you really want to stand out you could start drafting out UC essays.
    · Reply · Share