right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Rice or Northwestern for Engineering

charliexe22charliexe22 1 replies1 threads New Member
Hello!
I am so incredibly torn between these two school to the point in which I have no clue on which one to commit to, so I was wondering if I could get some insight on both these schools.

I am currently going for civil engineering, but that could easily change as I get introduced to new forms of engineering, so I wanted to know which school was stronger in opportunities for engineering students overall.

Btw. I don't really care about sports so that is not a factor for me, neither is finances, I am hoping they both soon will give me a fairly equal and good package.
5 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Rice or Northwestern for Engineering

• ChezCurieChezCurie 228 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Is cost an issue? How about location/weather?
    · Reply · Share
  • charliexe22charliexe22 1 replies1 threads New Member
    @ChezCurie no, cost is not really an issue. As for weather, I guess I prefer warm weather over cold, but I live in Pennsylvania so the cold won't be an issue either.
    · Reply · Share
  • saarinensaarinen 24 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Many CC members like Rice because of the residential colleges. But you asked about the academics.

Northwestern
    + Entering students who indicate a specific major are assigned a professor from that department as their freshman adviser, but they are free to choose a different field when they officially designate their major, typically at the end of their first year.
    - Chicago is cold and windy.

Rice
    + other than Shepherd's school of music and the Architecture you do not have to decide major until Sophomore year and can switch majors.
    - Houston is hot and humid.

I would ask about job prospects after college, and think about where you want to work. Here are two websites you should check out.

http://studentachievement.rice.edu/employment/

https://www.mccormick.northwestern.edu/analytics/overview/career-internship-report.html#class2018
    · Reply · Share
  • IWannaHelpIWannaHelp 460 replies3 threads Member
    edited April 11
    I think it's hard to compare "opportunities" unless one has extensive knowledge of both schools. You can still compare their academic offerings on their websites. I went to their websites and from the first glance, Northwestern has an industrial engineering & management sciences department and Rice doesn't. I don't know if that matters to you. As for civil engineering, it's probably a toss up unless you are interested in transportation. Northwestern has probably one of the leading transporation research centers in the country, which offers an undergraduate minor program.
    edited April 11
    · Reply · Share
  • IWannaHelpIWannaHelp 460 replies3 threads Member
    @saarinen
    Northwstern students can still change majors during sophomore year or up. I am not aware of any strict deadline but the later one decides and sticks to it, the less likely he/she will graduate in four years.
    · Reply · Share