right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Got into NYU, pre-Med Intention: ASK ME ANYTHING!

CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin 2795 replies321 threads Community Manager
Larry Gu attended public school in the Oklahoma City metro area. He is a senior at the Classen School of Advanced Studies at Northeast as part of the IB program. He was accepted into New York University through the Early Decision process and plans to major in Global Public Health: Media, Culture, and Communication while on a Pre-Med track.

@larriglue loves NYU’s public health program because it investigates the relationship between public health and other disciplines, such as biology or social work. This interdisciplinary approach to public health uses two different interests of his and combines them into an interesting and inclusive major.

The reason he chose NYU is because of the vast number of resources he can take advantage of while pursuing his major. NYU has 15 different locations where you can study abroad, ranging from Asia to Africa. This is what drew him to NYU in the first place.

Larry is our Guest Student of the Week, so make sure to ask him all your questions!
edited April 19
42 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share
«13

Replies to: Got into NYU, pre-Med Intention: ASK ME ANYTHING!

  • PendooPendoo 48 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Is it possible to switch majors from engineering to medical after already graduating high school in 2020?
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2914 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Can you afford it without co-signing massive amounts of debt?
    · Reply · Share
  • larrigluelarriglue 20 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 20
    Pendoo wrote: »
    Is it possible to switch majors from engineering to medical after already graduating high school in 2020?

    @Pendoo, the earliest you can apply for internal transfer admission is the second semester/term of consecutive full-time study at your current NYU school or college. But, I believe things can be worked out once you talk to your academic advisor!
    edited April 20
    Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
    · Reply · Share
  • larrigluelarriglue 20 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 20
    coolguy40 wrote: »
    Can you afford it without co-signing massive amounts of debt?

    @coolguy40, I received very good financial aid from NYU, so I can afford it without debt. I am still looking and applying for outside scholarships as well!
    edited April 20
    Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
    · Reply · Share
  • MonnesMonnes 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi! Congrats! I am so stoked to here about this because I also go to school in the Oklahoma City metro area, I got to Harding Charter. Are you nervous about going somewhere so far away and so busy/different? Would you say the IB program has helped prepare you or helped you get in? Did you take any classes specific to pre-med? (I'm also interested in the pre-med track)
    · Reply · Share
  • xindixuxindixu 1 replies0 threads New Member
    What were your stats, ec's, and what drew you to NYU besides other colleges?
    · Reply · Share
  • grtd2010grtd2010 1582 replies16 threads Senior Member
    edited April 20
    Pendoo wrote: »
    Is it possible to switch majors from engineering to medical after already graduating high school in 2020?

    FYI, Premed is not a major but a track at the College of Arts and Science at NYU. You mean to do internal transfer from College of Engineering to College of Arts and Science . Usually pre-med is a set of pre-requisite courses ( which may vary from medical school to medical school) one has to take before matriculating to medical school.
    edited April 20
    · Reply · Share
  • RB12345RB12345 4 replies1 threads New Member
    I am planning to join Berkeley City College and I want to do my major in Biochemistry and I'm planning to transfer to UCLA to further complete my undergraduate major. So, I just wanted to clear my confusion because I have been hearing a lot from some people not to do premed prerequisites courses in community college because I won't get admitted to top medical colleges like Harvard which I would love to admit to.So what is the actual stuff? Can anyone please explain me what do I need to do?These days have been so hard for me thinking about my medicine career. I feel so helpless. I feel I won't be admitted to top medical colleges if I take prerequisites in community college.I want proper guidance and also my steps from community college to med school.
    Today at 1:14 pm
    0 replies
    · Reply · Share
  • larrigluelarriglue 20 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 22
    Monnes wrote: »
    Hi! Congrats! I am so stoked to here about this because I also go to school in the Oklahoma City metro area, I got to Harding Charter. Are you nervous about going somewhere so far away and so busy/different? Would you say the IB program has helped prepare you or helped you get in? Did you take any classes specific to pre-med? (I'm also interested in the pre-med track)

    @Monnes, that's cool! I have some good friends that go there! I am more excited than nervous at this point. I have visited NYU's campus before and I absolutely fell in love with it! The IB program definitely helped me prepare for college due to the workload, however, I don't know if it necessarily helped me get accepted more than a student who did not take IB classes. I took both chemistry and biology, however, I enjoyed biology more so I took AP Bio and IB Bio. I had a good balance of STEM and Humanities classes.
    edited April 22
    Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
    · Reply · Share
  • larrigluelarriglue 20 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 22
    RB12345 wrote: »
    I am planning to join Berkeley City College and I want to do my major in Biochemistry and I'm planning to transfer to UCLA to further complete my undergraduate major. So, I just wanted to clear my confusion because I have been hearing a lot from some people not to do premed prerequisites courses in community college because I won't get admitted to top medical colleges like Harvard which I would love to admit to.So what is the actual stuff? Can anyone please explain me what do I need to do?These days have been so hard for me thinking about my medicine career. I feel so helpless. I feel I won't be admitted to top medical colleges if I take prerequisites in community college.I want proper guidance and also my steps from community college to med school.
    Today at 1:14 pm
    0 replies

    @RB12345, hi! Personally, I do not know what the difference between community college pre-reqs and pre-reqs at UCLA is, so I apologize. I am just starting to learn more about the medical school journey as I am just starting college this Fall. I believe that schools will see how hard you worked in a community college, and I believe that you will be successful!
    edited April 22
    Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
    · Reply · Share
  • IvyCavalier2004IvyCavalier2004 4 replies10 threads New Member
    What advice would you give a High School aspiring Pre-Med student?
    · Reply · Share
  • AnonomouseAnonomouse 6 replies2 threads New Member
    Hello. You stated you received good financial aid from NYU. Is that need based aid or merit based? I have read many times on this board NYU gives very little financial aid.
    Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
  • bethrileybethriley 14 replies10 threads Junior Member
    I am interested to go the pre-med track also. Could you advice if this is the good direction to go? These are the classes I picked for my sophomore yr:

    AP Environmental Science YR
    AP World History YR
    PAP Algebra 2 YR
    PAP Chemistry YR
    PAP English 2 YR
    PAP Spanish 3 YR
    Soccer Girls EQ2 YR
    Soccer Girls NC YR

    I am planning to replace the soccer (I already did in freshman, have a credit now and really not a player, just a JV mgr because I suck) with

    AP Seminar (Capstone stuff, also gives me Speech credit)
    AP Art History (Gives me Fine Arts credit also)

    What do you all think?
    · Reply · Share
  • coolgirl40coolgirl40 1 replies0 threads New Member
    How much does it cost you to attend NYU?
    · Reply · Share
  • dm4391dm4391 3 replies0 threads New Member
    Does GPA matter a lot and how many APs do you think is necessary to get into NYU? Can SAT/ACT scores make up GPA? Thank you so much!
    · Reply · Share
  • anonymous0320anonymous0320 31 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Why'd you decide to pursue both pre-med and media? That's super cool! I'm actually really interested in media and communications too. Is it common to pursue multiple things at NYU?
    · Reply · Share
  • larrigluelarriglue 20 replies0 threads Junior Member
    xindixu wrote: »
    What were your stats, ec's, and what drew you to NYU besides other colleges?

    @xindixu

    STATS Here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-yh7dC5vf-JihhvuN_uLrhKX8nhBUWtPBOLIPMKPbpo/edit?usp=sharing

    What really drew me to NYU was the vast academic opportunities available on its many campuses around the world. I thought that Global Public Health and Media. Culture, and Communication was perfect for me because of my interests in both the Humanities and STEM, so it worked out!

    · Reply · Share
  • larrigluelarriglue 20 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 24
    What advice would you give a High School aspiring Pre-Med student?

    @IvyCavalier2004, I would say that you need to stay on top of your workload while balancing extracurriculars. Community service is very important as well, so be sure to involve yourself in that too! If you are very interested in Pre-Med, you can contact a doctor and ask to shadow them. Most of the doctors would be happy to let you shadow them!
    edited April 24
    Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
    · Reply · Share
  • larrigluelarriglue 20 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 24
    Anonomouse wrote: »
    Hello. You stated you received good financial aid from NYU. Is that need based aid or merit based? I have read many times on this board NYU gives very little financial aid.
    Thanks.

    @Anonomouse, the financial aid was need-based. However, NYU has a variety of merit-based scholarships that are available!

    https://www.nyu.edu/admissions/financial-aid-and-scholarships/scholarships-and-grants.html
    edited April 24
    Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
    · Reply · Share
  • larrigluelarriglue 20 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 24
    bethriley wrote: »
    I am interested to go the pre-med track also. Could you advice if this is the good direction to go? These are the classes I picked for my sophomore yr:

    AP Environmental Science YR
    AP World History YR
    PAP Algebra 2 YR
    PAP Chemistry YR
    PAP English 2 YR
    PAP Spanish 3 YR
    Soccer Girls EQ2 YR
    Soccer Girls NC YR

    I am planning to replace the soccer (I already did in freshman, have a credit now and really not a player, just a JV mgr because I suck) with

    AP Seminar (Capstone stuff, also gives me Speech credit)
    AP Art History (Gives me Fine Arts credit also)

    What do you all think?

    @bethriley, those classes look good! I personally feel like I focused some on the Arts, as I wanted a more well-rounded experience, but I see you have AP Art History so you are fine! These classes for your sophomore year looks good! I would just say look for some community service opportunities or volunteering in a medical setting, such as in a hospital.
    edited April 24
    Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity